This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Passport renewal for adult with previous passport issued as a minor

by Debra
(New York, NY USA)

My daughter's now expired passport was issued in 2006 when she was 14. She is now 19 and requires a new passport. Your website says that passport renewal by mail is not available if the previous passport was issued when the citizen was a minor. Does this rule apply even though she is 19 years old now?

Also, there are no options on the Passport Scheduling Phone line that seem to fit needing to "renew a passport in person because it is not allowed to be renewal by mail AND No, we are not traveling within 2 weeks."

Question: 1. Can a 19-year old renew her passport by mail if her previous one was issued when she was 14?

Answer: No, she must appear in person at an application acceptance facility or a regional agency if she needs her passport quickly.

Question: 2. If the 19-year old must appear in person to renew, must she also be accompanied by a parent (one parent with a notarized letter indicating it is acceptable to the second parent that she is renewing her passport)?

Answer: No, she does not need to be accompanied by a parent. Only minors ages 17 or younger must appear with parents.

Question: 3. If the 19-year old must appear in person, which Passport phone line option should be selected to get the appointment (she is not traveling within 2 weeks)?

Answer: If your daughter is not traveling within 2 weeks, she does not need to apply at the regional passport agency and, therefore, does not need to schedule an appointment through the toll-free number.

She can submit the application Form DS-11 and all supporting documents at a nearby passport office. Each office has its own telephone number. Click the links below for more information.

New Passport Requirements

New York Passport Offices

Routine processing is estimated to take up to 5 weeks. Your daughter can request expedited service in order to obtain her passport in up to 3 weeks. There is an extra fee for this service and she will need to include a copy of her itinerary.

Comments for Passport renewal for adult with previous passport issued as a minor

Click here to add your own comments

Minor passport as citizenship evidence
by: Ann

Question: I am 20 years old and have an unexpired passport that was issued in March 2014 when I was 15 years old as a minor. Am I able to solely use this passport as both primary verification of citizenship and ID proof, or do I need to have my birth certificate, etc?

Answer: Hello, Ann. Since this passport was issued when you were 15, you cannot use it as citizenship evidence or proof of identity. You need to submit your birth certificate and a photocopy of your driver's license for these purposes.

Renewing a passport problem
by: Anonymous

Question: Could I renew my passport even if it was issued 19 years ago? I'm planning to renew it and now I'm 20 years old. And my recent passport was issued when i was a one-year-old.

Answer: Passports issued to minors or when one was a minor cannot be renewed. You need to apply for a new passport as an adult. Please prepare the following requirements:

1. Form DS-11 (complete but do not sign yet)
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship
3. Proof of identity and photocopy
4. One passport photo
5. Payment for fees

You need to apply in person at an acceptance facility and sign the application in the presence of a passport agent. You may find a nearby post office location and schedule an appointment here.

New passport for 18 year old who was 15 when issued
by: Anonymous

Question: My 18-year-old daughter would like to travel to Canada but her passport is now expired. She got it when she was 15. Does that require her to get a renewal or a new passport? Can she enter Canada with an expired passport? And then re enter the U.S.? If she needs a new passport can she get one same day in the Burlington VT passport office even though she doesn’t reside there? And will she need her birth certificate as well as expired passport?

Answer: If the passport was issued when she was 15, it should be valid until she is 20. Please double-check the expiration date on the passport's data page.

If it is indeed expired, she needs to apply in person and submit her requirements, including the original or a certified copy of her birth certificate as evidence of U.S. citizenship. Same-day service is available at the Vermont Passport Agency on South Main Street in St. Albans. However, there is no guarantee that a passport will be issued on the same day; regional agencies typically process applications in 1 to 8 business days.

While U.S. citizens may enter Canada with just citizenship evidence and a valid government-issued ID, she will still need a valid U.S. passport book or card to re-enter the United States.

Passport issued as a minor over 15 years ago
by: Anonymous

Question: I had a passport when I was 15 and has since expired and is nowhere to be found. Now 34, I need a passport and the form asks if I've ever been issued a passport before. I have but I was a minor and have no further information about it. Do I check no or yes?

Answer: Passport application forms need to be filled in only with information that is true and correct. Please indicate that you have been issued a passport in the past and put NA or 'Not Applicable' on the space provided for the passport number. Also, it would be good to include a signed statement explaining why you do not have the information.

19-year-old needed birth certificate to renew
by: Anonymous

Question: Our 19-year-old daughter attempted to renew her expired but undamaged passport issued in 2010 when she was 12 at the Savannah Post Office, but was denied as they said she needed her birth certificate. Our local (Colorado) post office said she only needed the passport. Which is true? Thanks.

Answer: A passport issued when a citizen was a minor cannot be used as evidence of citizenship. Your daughter needs to submit her birth certificate as proof.

Can I renew my daughters passport that expired last year?
by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter's passport has expired. She is out of the country and she can't travel here because her passport is already expired. She can't go to the Philippine Consulate in Japan due to lack of money and she is a minor. Can I renew her passport here in the Philippines even if she's not here? I'm her mother based here in the Philippines. Thanks.

Answer: Please contact the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo for advice on how you can assist your daughter in getting a passport or travel document to travel back to the Philippines.

by: Anonymous

Question: If I already had a passport when I was under 18 and I am wanting to renew it now, do I have to have all requirements again or do I just present my old passport?

Answer: You must apply in person for a new passport at an application acceptance facility and submit all required documents. If your passport was issued in 2007 or later, it can be submitted as evidence of U.S. citizenship. If it was issued prior to 2007, you must submit your original or a certified copy of your birth certificate. You will find a complete list of requirements here.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.