This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Passport for child born in Germany on a US Military base

by Susie
(Eaton OH USA)

Question: My son was denied a passport because he was born in Germany while we were stationed there. What do I need to get his passport? We have a notarized certificate of birth from Germany. What else do we need?

Answer: Parents who cannot submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth for their child, can apply for and submit a Certificate of Citizenship through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Another option is to submit all of the following as evidence of citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s):

* Child's foreign birth certificate (translated to English)
* Evidence of citizenship of U.S. citizen parents
* Parents' marriage certificate
* A statement detailing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad of U.S. citizen parents before the birth of your child.

Translation does not need to be a formal, official translation. Documents which serve as evidence of United States citizenship include previously-issued passports (must be undamaged), original or certified birth certificates, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship.

Comments for Passport for child born in Germany on a US Military base

Click here to add your own comments

Renew passport
by: Kim

Question: My child's passport expired and her birth certificate was lost . How can I renew her passport? Help please, thanks.

Answer: You have two options. If your child was issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you can apply to replace the CRBA.

If you do not want to wait for a new CRBA, you can submit the passport application along with a letter requesting a file search. Passport Services will search its archives for previously-submitted evidence of U.S. citizenship. There is an additional $150 fee for this service.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.