COVID-19 UPDATE: Travel restrictions and other information for U.S. Passport holders.

Comments for Is there anyway to get a passport for my child without their father's notarized statement?

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

Question: The father of my child and I have been divorced since 2011. He didn’t show up to court when we divorced and hasn’t been in my daughter's life ever since she was 1 year old. We’re planning to go to Cancun. I want to know what I can do to get her passport.

Answer: You may apply for the child's passport without the father if you were awarded sole legal custody and have proof to show for it. If you share legal custody with the father, his consent is required to apply for the passport. You need to contact the father and try to get his consent.

If you cannot locate/contact the father, you may try to submit Form DS-5525 with proof of your failed attempts to contact him. Please note that applications of this nature may or may not be approved, it depends on how well you explain the situation and how the passport issuance will affect the overall well-being of the child.

Notarized consent with no ID
by: Anonymous

Question: The Father of my daughter is in Jail and was able to send me a notarized consent, but does not have any Identification. Will this be okay?

Answer: The notarized consent must be submitted with a copy of the non-applying parent's ID. Since the father is incarcerated, you may submit Form DS-5525 with the requirements instead. Submit the requirements, Form DS-5525 and a copy of the father's incarceration order to obtain a passport for your child under exigent family circumstances.

us passport for minor
by: harpreet singh

Question: I am in India. My wife gave birth to our baby in the USA. Now, she wants to apply for a U.S. passport for traveling to India. For US passport, they are demanding consent form DS-3053 from my side. Please let me know if I can send consent form from India for my baby's passport.

Answer: Please contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for information about getting Form DS-3053 notarized.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Is there anyway to get a passport for my child without their father's notarized statement?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!