This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Is there anyway to get a passport for my child without their father's notarized statement?

(Green Bay, Wisconsin)

Question: I'm planning on taking my two kids to Canada to visit my boyfriend's family in a few months. Their dad and I are not civil so when asked by his parents to get a notarized statement to allow them to go he refuses.

I have primary custody and he has visitation upon reasonable time and manner. He sees the kids maybe 2-4 times a month at his parents house. He's only saying no because we have not been getting along for several months so I dropped contact with him and go through his parents for anything. Is there anyway I can get their passport without him signing for it?

Answer: A notarized consent form from the father is required for each minor child to get a passport unless you have sole legal custody. If you have sole legal custody and can submit evidence of such, then the father's consent is not required.

Note, minors are not required to present passports to enter Canada or return to the United States by land. You can present their birth certificates and a photo ID. However, the Canada Border Service Agency requires one parent traveling with a minor to present notarized consent from the non-traveling parent. Therefore, even if you do not need the consent to get the passports, you do need it to travel in Canada.

Comments for Is there anyway to get a passport for my child without their father's notarized statement?

Click here to add your own comments

Notarized consent with no ID
by: Anonymous

Question: The Father of my daughter is in Jail and was able to send me a notarized consent, but does not have any Identification. Will this be okay?

Answer: The notarized consent must be submitted with a copy of the non-applying parent's ID. Since the father is incarcerated, you may submit Form DS-5525 with the requirements instead. Submit the requirements, Form DS-5525 and a copy of the father's incarceration order to obtain a passport for your child under exigent family circumstances.

us passport for minor
by: harpreet singh

Question: I am in India. My wife gave birth to our baby in the USA. Now, she wants to apply for a U.S. passport for traveling to India. For US passport, they are demanding consent form DS-3053 from my side. Please let me know if I can send consent form from India for my baby's passport.

Answer: Please contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for information about getting Form DS-3053 notarized.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.