Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Is a child born to Canadian mother and U.S. citizen father eligible for a passport?

Questions pertaining to passport eligibility for a 10-year-old child born in Canada to a Canadian mother. Mother and child have resided in Canada for 10 years. Parents of child never wed. Father is U.S. citizen, residing in U.S. and a non-custodial parent. Mother gives full cooperation and consent to application.

Question: Is the child eligible for a passport based solely upon parentage by a U.S. citizen father?

Answer: Your child possesses U.S. citizenship by birthright as long as 1) you can present clear and convincing evidence of paternity and 2) the U.S. citizen father was physically present in the United States for a period of at least 5 year before the child's birth.

Question: Must a child be a resident of the U.S. to be eligible and, if so, for how long before applying?

Answer: No, it is not necessary for your child to reside in the United States in order to obtain a U.S. passport. It is only necessary that the child possess U.S. citizenship in order to obtain an American passport.

Question: What documents are acceptable proof of a child's U.S. residency?

Answer: Evidence of residency is not required.

Question: Is a custody agreement necessary for proof of child's residency and, if so, must custody by the resident father be full custody or is shared custody sufficient? Thank you.

Answer: If you have sole legal custody, then the father's consent is not required. If you have shared custody, then you must submit notarized consent from the father in order to get the passport.

Click the link below for a list of locations where you can apply for your child's U.S. passport in Canada.

U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Canada

Click here to post comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!