Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

I need a passport name change and am traveling in less than 4 weeks

by Tanya
(Forest Hill, Md, USA)

Question: Please assist me in the best way to expedite this service to ensure I get my updated passport back in time for my travel for work.

Is there a way to ask for expedited service when mailing my forms in?

Answer: The first thing you need to do is determine which form to use. This will depend on when your current passport was issued and whether or not you can submit proof of the name change. For more information, click the link below.

Passport Name Change Information

Once you have determined the form to use, you can choose the method of submission. You can mail the application and required documents to the address on the form. There is a special address for expedited service.

Expedited service by mail takes 2-3 weeks, give or take a few days. An exact amount of time cannot be given since there are many variables involved - time of year, holidays, acceptance of documents submitted, etc.

It is possible that you would receive your passport in time using this method but there is no guarantee. If you want to guarantee that the passport name change is completed in time for your trip, there are only two options.

One, schedule an appointment at the regional passport agency that serves your state. Note, passport agencies attend American citizens who need to get a passport within 2 weeks or a passport and a visa within 4 weeks.

For more information, click the link below.

Washington DC Passport Agency

If you do not have time to visit the regional agency personally, you can get a professional expediting service to submit the application for you. For more information, click the link below.

Apply to Expedite Passport Name Change

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service!.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.