This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

First name on my birth certificate differs from driver's license.

Question: My first name on my birth certificate is Frankie. My first name on all of my other documents (driver's license, credit cards etc.) is Frank.

I recently applied for a passport and completed the form with my name as FRANK, however I was asked to provide my birth certificate and copy of my driver's license.

I am looking to make a reservation to travel in 3 weeks and am waiting for my passport to arrive however I am not sure how my first name will appear on my passport. I would like to make this reservation as soon as possible before the cost of airfare increases, but do not want to make it with the incorrect spelling of my name.

Can you advise which name will appear on the passport?

Answers: While derivatives of a name are usually accepted for passports, the agent that processes your application will have the final decision concerning the name that is included in your travel document. Therefore, there is no way to affirm which name will be included until the process is completed.

Note, if you entered the name Frankie on the application and that is what is on your birth certificate, then that is the name that will most likely be included in your passport.

Comments for First name on my birth certificate differs from driver's license.

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

Question: I have Jr. on my passport but not on my driver's license. Would this be an issue for renewing my passport?

Answer: It will not since you will no longer need to present your license when you renew your passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.