Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for Do I need to send legal documents if my passport already has a name change amendment?

Click here to add your own comments

Fees for name change and renewal and to expedite
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport doesn’t expire until 2021 however I remarried so I need a name change. Can you tell me what fees I need to pay as well as to expedite the process as well?

Answer: A renewal with name change costs $110. If you want to expedite the process, just add $60 to the fee and mail the renewal requirements to the following address:

National Passport Processing Center
P.O. Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

Please write EXPEDITE on the outside of the envelope.

If you are traveling in 2 weeks or less and can present proof of such, you may submit your application in person at a regional passport agency. Appointments are required.

18 yr old passport
by: 3Jz

Question: My passport was issued in 1999. I have gotten married since then, in 2002. Can I renew it with a name change or do I need to apply for a new one?

Answer: You need to apply for a new passport. Please gather the following requirements:

1. Form DS-11 (completed but unsigned)
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship
3. Proof of identity (bearing your current legal name)
4. Photocopy of ID
5. One passport photo
6. Payment for fees

You need to submit these in person at a nearby acceptance facility where an agent will witness your signature and seal the envelope to send to the processing center.

Previous names
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport has my legal name, do I have to put my previous names (birth name, previous married name) which I did when I first applied for my passport in 2008?

Answer: If the information is required in the application form then you have to provide such.

changed name back to maiden name
by: Nina

Question: My passport had expired years ago and I got divorced since then and changed my name back to my maiden name. What do I need to renew my passport? I have my social security card with my maiden name is this sufficient?

Answer: A social security card does not suffice as primary evidence of a legal name change. You need to submit your divorce decree which states the change of name.

If the fact that you returned to your maiden name is not stated on the divorce decree, call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative about alternative documents you can submit.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Return to Do I need to send legal documents if my passport already has a name change amendment?.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering extremely limited in-person services if you need to travel internationally in the next 5 business days. Those with qualified life-or-death emergencies are prioritized.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 5 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 AM to 5PM, call ET 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, 202-647-4000

You can schedule your appointment up to 2 weeks before your international travel but the date of your appointment must be within 5 business days of your international travel. If you need a foreign visa, the date of your appointment must be within 10 business days of your international travel.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!