Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Do I need a passport to travel to Mexico if I am a permanent resident?

by Herlinda
(Las Vegas, NV)

Question: I need to go to Mexico. My dad is very sick. Do I need a passport? I am a permanent resident and I need to take an airplane.

Answer: If you are referring to an American passport, no you don't. In fact, you cannot obtain a U.S. passport unless you are a citizen of the United States.

However, you do need to travel with a valid passport from your country of origin. If you do not currently possess a valid passport from Mexico, you can obtain one at the nearest Mexican embassy or consulate general. There is one in Las Vegas. Contact information is provided below.

Consulado de Carrera de México en Las Vegas
330 S. Fourth St.
Las Vegas, NV. 89101
(702) 383-0623

You also need to carry your green card with you and present it when returning to the United States.

Return to Passport for Travel to Mexico.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!