Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I travel internationally during passport renewal process?

Question: If I use the renew by mail process, can I travel internationally using a photocopy of my passport while awaiting the return of the passport (since renewal by mail requires sending current passport)?

Answer: No, you cannot travel internationally without a valid passport. Photocopies of passports are not acceptable. If you need your passport to travel internationally and do not have time to wait for routine processing, then you can apply for expedited passport renewal.

By mail, this process takes 2-3 weeks. The application can be processed the same day at a regional agency.

Applicants who either cannot travel to the location of a regional processing center or do not want to can request the assistance of a registered passport expediting service.

Comments for Can I travel internationally during passport renewal process?

Click here to add your own comments

Waiting on passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I just got my citizenship 2 yrs ago and I applied for my passport. Can I travel to Mexico with a copy of my citizenship?

Answer: You can't. A valid passport to enter Mexico and get back in the United States.

Expired philippine passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I am a green card holder with a Philippine passport but my passport is expired. Can I come back in the U.S. with my expired US passport?

Answer: I am not sure I understand. You have a green card but you also have an expires U.S. passport? Please clarify.

Entering US with US Driver's License and voided Passport with VISA
by: Marco Paulo

Question: Hi,

I'm renewing my European Passport than contains my L1A visa, so while I wait for that they cut my passport and added a voided stamp.

Can I enter the US with that voided passport and US driver's license? The L1A VISA is still valid and the voided passport is still readable.

Answer: Please contact the CBP regarding re-entry to the United States.


Question: My dad is taking his citizenship this month and will apply for a passport (if passes and is given the certificate of naturalization). I know they will keep his green card at the court house when he submits the papers for application for passport.

He has a plane ticket bought already 2 days after his test and cannot wait for the U.S. Passport. He will give his green card away with the passport application.

The question is : Can he go to his home country without the green card just with his foreign passport please? On return from the trip, in meantime we can send him the passport for entry, correct?. Thank you.

Answer: While he can use his foreign passport to enter his home country, as a U.S. citizen, he will be bound by law to depart the United States on a U.S. passport. Please contact the CBP for more information.

Passport collection
by: Mrs.Rajes

Question: I applied for renewal and got a letter that it's ready for collection but earlier dates are not available for collection. and my passport still valid for next 8 months. Can I travel with the original passport with me before collection of new passport.

Answer: Hi, Mrs. Rajes. Are we talking about a U.S. passport?

International Passport Renewal.
by: Anonymous

Question: I am living abroad and submitted paper work for passport renewal at the U.S. Embassy. They photocopied my passport to be used for processing my new passport and gave me my original valid passport back. I can still travel with this passport while i am waiting for my new passport, correct?

Answer: In the United States, passports ate invalidated when a renewal application is received. The case many be different because you are overseas. Please contact the U.S. embassy where you applied for assistance.

Renew of a valid passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I don’t know if the rules have been changed. In 2013, I applied to renew my passport while it was still valid but the visa pages were full. The valid passport was left with me until I received the new one.

Answer: You need to submit your most recent passport (valid or expired) with the rest of the application requirements.

Passport services no longer issues additional pages so you may want to request for the non-regular 52-page passport book. The old passport will be returned to you once the renewal process is completed.

Parallel process
by: Rajiv

Question: This does present issues for individuals who frequently travel abroad and sometimes cannot predict their day of travel because of changes in business situations.

What instead should happen is that the old valid passport should be returned immediately after authentication and let the person be able to travel while the new passport is being processed, printed and sent.

Answer: Citizens who travel frequently and need to submit his/her passport for visas have the option to apply for a second passport.

Please call customer service at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!