Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Can I renew a passport issued for a minor who is now 16?

Question: My son's passport was issued when he was 11. He is now 16. Can I renew that passport or do I now apply for a passport for him as an adult? I think, from reading the website info, that applying as an adult is the right answer, but I want to confirm (because that seems to cost more).

Answer: You are correct. Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed by mail. At age 16, your son will apply for a new passport in the same manner as adults do with the following considerations.

All Minors Age 16 and 17 shall:

* Appear in person at the time of application

* Have a parent or guardian present photo identification IF the minor does not have identification of his or her own

* Provide a photocopy of the same ID document that will be presented at the time of application (applicant or parent/guardian).

* Establish parental consent (You may be requested to provide written parental consent for a child age 16 or 17 IF it is not implied on the application)

The application fee for an applicant age 16 and up is $110 (paid to the Department of State) and the execution fee is $25 (paid to agent at passport application acceptance facility). It takes 4-5 weeks to process applications. Expedited service takes 2-3 weeks but costs an additional $60.

For faster service, schedule an appointment at a regional processing center or apply for the services of an authorized expediter such as Fastport Passport.

Comments for Can I renew a passport issued for a minor who is now 16?

Click here to add your own comments

s it possible to renew?
by: anonymous

Question: Hi, is it OK if I waited more years until he reaches the age of 16 years old and only 1 parent will accompany? We are here now in the Philippines. Thank you and I need your advice.

Answer: Yes, you can wait until your child turns 16 to apply for his new passport. Please note that passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. Your child will need to apply in person for his new 'adult' passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport for 16 or 17 Year Old FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!