Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Comments for Can I obtain passports for my 15 and 17-year-old children without their father's consent?

Click here to add your own comments

Need help with passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I have two kids that don't have passports (9 and 15). Their father hasn't been in their lives in years. I also want full custody of my kids. What do I need to get their passport and also what do I need for the custody.

Answer: The father's presence or consent is required to apply for your children's passports.

You need to have sole legal custody so you can apply on your own. Please speak to a lawyer regarding this.

by: Anonymous

Question: Unfortunately I do not have the original consent letter for my son's passport. He emailed the scanned consent and I printed it out. When I went to get his passport I was told only the original consent letter guarantees his permanent passport and that I will be issued a 1-year temporary passport. He went ahead I should be issued his permanent passport at my home country which is Nigeria. How true is it that we can get his permanent passport in Nigeria?

Answer: Please contact the Embassy of Nigeria for information regarding Nigerian passports.

I have physical custody and joint legal
by: Anonymous

Question: I have physical custody and joint legal custody of my 10 and 16 year old and we reside in their birth state. The noncustodial parent wants to get a passport for the 10 year old and he lives in another state. I asked previously and was told the minor's passport should be filed in the primary residence and the noncustodial parent needs to complete the form to authorize and have it notarized and sent back to me. Is this correct?

Answer: A passport application can be submitted at any application acceptance facility throughout the United States and abroad. Minors age 15 or younger must appear with both parents. If only one parent accompanies a minor, the applying parent must submit either evidence of sole legal custody ro notarized consent from the non-applying parent. The notarized consent must be accompanied by a copy of the identification document used during the notarization process. for a complete list of requirements, click here.

passport for five and six year old state of MI
by: Anonymous

Question: Mother wants passport for young daughters. Can she get the passports without his consent? We have shared custody and a hearing with friend of court.

Answer: Unless the mother has full legal custody, the father's consent is required. Note, a judge can order the father to sign the consent form if the mother requests it and the judge believes it is in the best interest of the child and there is no risk of abduction.

The father can enroll the children in the Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program. If someone attempts to submit passport applications for the minors, the father will receive notice.

passport when father is not citizen living abroad
by: Claudia

Question: My 15-year-old son needs a passport. His father is a non-US citizen living in Guatemala. We're divorced and share custody of our children. Where does he need to sign the consent form?

Answer: The father can complete Form DS-3053 at the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala City, have it notarized and mail it to you to submit with your son's passport application.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Can I obtain passports for my 15 and 17-year-old children without their father's consent?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.