Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Which form do I use to get another passport?

by Denise
(Philadelphia, Pa)

Question: I had a passport but I cannot find it. It got packed away in a move. It is probably almost expired because I think I got it about 10 years ago. Do I apply as a renewal? What form do I use. Thank you, Denise

Answer: You can only renew a passport by mail if you can submit your most recently issued passport with the application form.

Without the passport, you will have to apply for a new passport at an application acceptance facility. You can complete Form DS-11 beforehand but should only sign it when asked to do so by the passport agent.

For complete instructions, click the link below.

How to Apply for a New Passport

Click the following link to find the nearest passport office.

Pennsylvania Passport Offices

It takes between 4 and 6 weeks for applications to be processed. To get your passport in a hurry, you can request expedited service when you apply. There is an additional $60 fee for this service. You should get your passport within three weeks if you expedite it.

If you need the application processed faster, you can either visit the Philadelphia Passport Agency or, if you do not have time to go yourself, authorize a registered expediter such as Rush My Passport to submit the application on your behalf.

Comments for Which form do I use to get another passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Can I renew by mail or in person
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi my passport was issued in 2000 and expired 2010. I still have my passport; it’s not damaged or anything. Can I still apply for renewal by mail?

Answer: Hello! Unfortunately, you can no longer renew a passport that is more than 15 years old. You now need to submit a new passport application.

Expired US passport in 1991
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, my passport expired in 1991. Do I apply for a new one? I still have the passport.

Question: Since your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, you must apply in person for a new passport at an application acceptance facility.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.