Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Do I need to apply for my passport in the state where I am a resident?

by Richard
(Columbus, ND)

Question: I am a Michigan resident but am working and living in North Dakota temporarily. I live 10 miles from the border in NW North Dakota and would like venture into Canada for hockey games.

Can I get a passport here because it is a national document or do I need to go back to Michigan to apply for one?

Answer: You can apply for a passport in any state, whether you are a resident or not.

Note, if you apply at an Acceptance Facility and submit out-of-state primary identification, you must present an additional ID document, as well. For example, if you apply in North Dakota with a Michigan Driver's License, you must present a second ID containing as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth and the document issuance date.

For a list of passport application acceptance facilities near you, click the link below.

North Dakota Passport Offices

For a complete list of requirements for obtaining a new passport, click the link below.

Apply for U.S. Passport

Comments for Do I need to apply for my passport in the state where I am a resident?

Click here to add your own comments

Passport received in state I do not reside in
by: Anonymous

Question: If I apply for my passport in another state that I do not reside in but my family does, am I able to receive it in that state or will it be sent to my state of residence?

Answer: You may set your family's address in that state as your mailing address on the application form. However, if you will be presenting an out-of-state ID during the application, you will need to present another secondary proof of identity like your SS card, student ID, etc.

Out of state
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm currently working in Kentucky for the next several months but my residence is in Nebraska. I need to apply for my passport for a trip I plan to take immediately after I get done in Kentucky. All I have with me is my birth certificate, social security card, and driver's license. Will those be sufficient for an application?

Answer: Yes, it should be enough. Since you will be presenting an out-of-state driver's license, you will also need to present your SS card as proof of identity.

First time Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I have my birth certificate, social security card, and out-of-state ID. Would an out-of-state college student ID work as the second identification?

Answer: Yes, a school ID should be accepted as secondary proof of identification in addition to your SS card. Please make sure to just submit photocopies and keep the original IDs.

I applied for a expedited passport book and card in a state I was not born in.
by: Anonymous

Question: I provided my Birth Certificate, Student ID, and Medicare Card. Is it enough?

Answer: Yes, it should be enough.

Alternate ID
by: Anonymous

Question: Does the alternate ID need to be a picture ID or can I bring my out-of-state driver's license, birth certificate, and social security card?

Answer: A combination of your out-of-state license and SS card should suffice. You may find a list of secondary IDs in the following web page:

Proof of Identity

by: Anonymous

Things are hard and you guys are doing your best. Reading a bunch of people's problems here and I realized you guys probably get a distorted view of the world working here. Just wanted to say thank you, whoever reads this, for doing your part to help keep things moving. If you do something right, too often no one will even think to notice you did anything at all.

by: Anonymous

Question: I am a resident of Michigan. Can I apply for a passport in Chicago? If so, what are the necessary documents I'll need, and how long will I have to wait to receive the passport?

Answer: Yes, you may apply in Chicago but since you are applying out of state, you need to present an additional ID aside from your primary ID.

Routine service takes 10 to 12 weeks to complete. If you request and pay for expedited service, it will take 4 to 6 weeks to receive your passport.

In need of passport before international trip
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello,

I'm a California resident and I have an international trip at the end of October 2020. I was wondering if I'll be able to get my passport renewed in time for my trip. I'm unable to cancel it at this present time.

Answer: As of this time, processing times is uncertain and expedited service is available only to those who need to travel in 72 hours due to a life or death emergency.

Also, the passport agencies in California have not even entered Phase 1 of reopening.

Moving to CA, but applying in CO
by: Anonymous

Question: I became a citizen and making a passport appointment for next week in Colorado. However I am moving to California in November. Processing times are long and I will likely be in CA when the passport is issued. Is there a process to forward passport and certificate of Naturalization to the CA address?

Answer: You may have to setup a forwarding address with the post office or enter your CA address in the form so the documents will be sent there. Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

by: Anonymous

Question: I am in my brothers wedding Nov 27. I live in California and need to get my passport. With the pandemic will it get processed in time? What are my options?

Answer: Passport services is slowly reopening in phases but the agencies in California are not are not even in Phase 1 yet. Because of this, I would advise you to wait until they are at least in Phase 2 to apply. Processing is backed up so significant delays are to be expected. It may take several weeks to even months before they're back on track.

Military ID for additional ID out of state
by: Anonymous

Question: I have just moved to Georgia from Chicago. I presented my out-of-state driver’s license, birth certificate, and social security and was told that I still needed another form of ID regarding my residency in the state of Georgia. From my research, it appears that residency in the state does not matter.
I am wondering if my Military ID will serve as substantial additional Identification.

Answer: Yes, your valid Military ID should suffice as additional secondary ID.

Applying for Passport with Out of state ID
by: Anonymous

Question: I currently am a resident of California. But I have a Texas ID because I moved here from Texas in 2018. Can I apply for my passport here in the state of California? Or would I need to go to Texas to apply?

Someone please help because I need to apply for my passport ASAP.

Answer: You may apply in California. You just need to present an additional photo ID with your out-of-state ID as proofs of identity.

Passport in a different city
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, I live in Texas and I'm curious if I would be able to get my passport at a location in a city (within Texas) other than the one I live in. If so, would there be any extra processes?

Answer: It is recommended that movement be limited to avoid the further spread of the virus. The Governor of Texas has issued an order that "requires all Texans to stay at home except to provide essential services or do essential things."

Moving my kids from state of birth to actual state of residence
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. Due to the pandemic I moved early in February before it got out of hand to Houston because I am pregnant with twins I and their dad are from New York. I have my children here in Houston and I do not have intentions of getting their passports until I get back to New York. Will they be considered that they come from NY or Houston? Will I also be able to get their passport from NY with a Houston birth certificate?

Answer: The state of birth should not matter.

Forms of ID?
by: Ryan

Question: I have my birth certificate, social security card and out of state non-expired drivers license. I was told i STILL need another form of ID. I thought social security card and out of state license were valid forms of secondary proof of identity?

Answer: Both are. But passport services reserves the right to request for additional documents to prove your identity.

Where to mail Renewal Application
by: Erik

Question: My primary address is Tennessee but I'm mailing my passport to California. As far as where to send my renewal application TN and CA have different mailing locations. Which address should I mail my renewal application to? Where my primary residence is (where is says people form TN to send) or where I mailing my passport (where is says people from CA should send)? Thank you :)

Answer: Mail it to the address intended for residents of the state that you indicated as your mailing address.

Can I apply in another state and have it shipped to home state?
by: Anonymous

Question: I will be getting the naturalization certificate on 8/22 in TX.
I am flying that same evening to OH for 3 weeks.
Then I have an international trip on 9/26.

I don't want to wait to come back from OH to apply, it will be too close to my trip.

Can I apply for the passport in OH (Expedited, bringing additional secondary ID), and have the passport shipped back to TX?
(Someone will be home to accept the shipment.)

Answer: Yes, you can apply in Ohio.

Address change
by: Amy

Question: Hi. Myself and my family moved, our passports are valid (1-2 years), we live in the same town just different street. Do we all need to update? Thank you.

Answer: There is no need to update your passport because of the address change.

Can I get a new passport for my infant in a state other than our home state?
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, I need to get a new passport for my 10-month-old to travel on an international cruise the middle of July. Can I apply for that in Pennsylvania while on vacation when we live in CA? I'm afraid if I wait until we are back June 6th there wont be enough time to have it processed by 7/16 when we leave for the cruise.

Answer: Yes, you can. But since you will be presenting out-of-state IDs, you need to present an additional ID when you submit the application.

Change of Address
by: Anonymous

Question: I recently moved from NY to FL. Do I have to submit a change of address. My current passport is still valid but I will be going on a transatlantic cruise next year and will be flying back from Europe.

Answer: There is no need to notify passport services about your change of address.

Single mom
by: Jack

Question: I have full custody of my 11-year-old. Her father moved to NC and I am in MA. Since she’s under age, can I still get her passport renewed with out her father being around?

Answer: Hello, Jack. The answer depends on what is covered by full custody. If it stipulates that you have SOLE LEGAL custody of the child, the father's consent is not required. Otherwise, you need a notarized consent from the father to apply for your child's new passport.

Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. You need to apply for the new passport in person and the submit the same requirements you did to obtain the previous one.

Filling out in another state
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm going on a cruise in June and I need to get my passport for the first time. I live in Georgia, but I'm currently in Florida visiting my mom. Can I apply for a passport in Florida, or should I wait 2 weeks when I'm back in Georgia to take care of everything?

Answer: You can apply for your new passport in Florida. But since you will be presenting an out-of-state ID, you need to present another secondary ID.

You can also wait 2 weeks and do it when you get home. You have plenty of time before your planned trip.

Just moved to Virginia, still have an out of state license
by: John

Question: My wife, myself and our daughter are going on a cruise in December and need our passports. We still have our out of state licenses as we just moved to Virginia. This is not a renewal - these are first time passports. We don’t face a valid secondary photo ID, just birth certificates and social security cards. Can we get passports?

Answer: Hi, John. Your social security cards may serve as your secondary IDs to be presented with the rest of your application requirements.

Out of State
by: AnonymouswinnAnonymouswin

Question: I'm from Louisiana but I live in Mississippi. Can I get my passport there?

Answer: Yes, you can apply for a passport in Louisiana. But since you will be presenting an out-of-state ID, you will need to present an additional secondary proof of identity like your SS card.

I need a passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I am a 19-year-old female. I have a government-issued NV state ID but I currently live in NJ. I have my birth certificate (Michigan) and a SSC. I have proof that I’m a resident of NJ because I’ve had my bank statements sent to my address in NJ and I also have dental insurance which says NJ on it. Will it be possible to get a passport? If not, what do I have to get to be able to get a passport?

Answer: Since you will be presenting an out-of-state ID, you need to send another secondary ID like your SS card. In case passport services requires more, you may send other documents listed in the following page:

Proof of Identity

by: Anonymous

Question: Are mortgage documents and a current mortgage statement be acceptable? Also, since I am renewing, would the old passbook suffice for secondary ID in a different state?

Answer: If your old passport was issued in the last 15 years and when you were 16 or older and if it is undamaged, you may apply for a renewal by mail. Renewals do not require you to submit proof of identity.

by: Anonymous

Question: I am going to go get my passport. I live in NYC but I am going to a place in New Jersey that does Saturday walk-ins. I have a NY drivers license and my birth certificate. What other forms of ID is needed? I do not have anything else with my picture. Will a W-2 be okay and/or page 1 and 2 of 1040?

Answer: Since you will be presenting an out-of-state driver's license, you need to present a secondary proof of identity. The following documents are acceptable:

-State-issued non-driver ID
-Social Security card
-Learner's or temporary driver's permit
-Voter registration card
-Employee ID
-Student ID
-Selective Service (draft) card
-Medicare or other health card
-Expired driver's license
-Membership card in a local social organization or club
-Rental contracts
-Mortgage documents
-Auto registrations
-Traffic tickets & violations

Contradicting information
by: Anonymous

Question: I was visiting family recently in Carson City, Nevada, and was able to retrieve my birth certificate while in town. The lady at the post office that issues passports would not process my first time passport application because I have a TX driver's license and apparently they do not do "out of state passports" even if I provided additional identification to confirm my identity. She told me I had to be a resident of the state in which I was applying for a passport.

Answer: Your out-of-state driver's license should have been accepted since you provided additional identification. You may send feedback to Passport Services to report the incident.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Can I apply for a passport in Houston if I live in Atlanta Georgia?

by san

Question: I live in Atlanta, Georgia and I need a passport ASAP. Can I apply in person in Houston as I am visiting Houston prior to my international travel as opposed to going to the one in my city?

Answer: Each regional passport agency has jurisdiction over and serves U.S. citizens who reside in specific states or parts of states. The State Department requests that applicants make an appointment at and apply to the regional agency that serves the state where they reside. Applying at the Atlanta Passport Agency will be your best option.

However, this is not always possible. We have accounts of many applicants who were allowed to apply at agencies other than the ones that served their respective states.

While you will probably be allowed to submit your passport application at the Houston agency, we cannot guarantee that this will happen.

You can try calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778. Note, this is an automated service and is often difficult to get through.

For a map and directions to the Houston Passport Agency, click the link below.

Houston Passport Agency

Another option for getting your passport quickly is to contract a private expediting service. Click the link to request this service.

Get Passport Fast

Comments for Can I apply for a passport in Houston if I live in Atlanta Georgia?

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

Question: I live in Illinois and have an appointment the day before I travel to get my passport in another state. Is it possible that I will get it the same day to make it in time for my travel the next day?

Answer: It is possible but there are no guarantees. Regional agencies process passports in 72 hours or less.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Can I go to Springfield, MA instead of Norwalk, CT for a passport?

by Eileen
(Manchester, CT)

Question: I live in the north of CT. To get to Norwalk, CT will take over 1 1/2 hours each way. To get to Springfield, MA is just under 30 min each way. I would prefer the much shorter and less crazy traffic route.

Answer: Where you apply for a passport depends on how quickly you want to have the application processed.

The regional agency in Norwalk only expedites applications for applicants who need to get a passport within two weeks or less. If you need to submit your passport for a visa application, you can go there 4 weeks prior to your departure date.

If you are applying for a new passport, you can visit any passport application acceptance facility. There are more than 9,000 in the U.S.

To find an acceptance facility in CT, click the link below.

Connecticut Passport Application Acceptance Facilities

To find an acceptance facility in MA, click the link below.

Massachusetts Passport Application Acceptance Facilities

For a list of requirements and a link to download the application form, click the link below.

How to Get a New Passport

If you are renewing a passport, you can do so by mail as long as you meet certain criteria. For complete details, click the link below.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport

Comments for Can I go to Springfield, MA instead of Norwalk, CT for a passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Out of State passport
by: Jessica

Question: Someone please help. My daughter's college needs a government photo ID to verify her identity. She lives with me in GA but she’s in NY awaiting move in because it was safer than having her fly given the current pandemic issues here in GA. She just turned 18 and does not have a drivers license. What would she need in order to apply for a passport while in NY even though her address is here is GA, since up until August 10th she was still a minor? It says another form of ID is needed but she doesn’t even have 1 form except a student ID. Thanks!

Answer: At 16/17, citizens are already considered adults as far as passport applications are concerned. They need to present a government-issued ID and have at least one parent to attest to their identity and show awareness of the application.

At 18, your daughter needs to submit her own proof of identity and there will be no need for consent from a parent. If your daughter does not have a primary ID, she needs to submit a combination of secondary IDs. Since she only has one (student ID), she will have to apply for an ID (state ID, voter's registration in NY, etc.) before applying for a passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Acceptance facility on Loudon Road in Concord, NH

by Vera
(Deering, NH)

Question: There is a post office on Loudon Road in Concord, NH. Is it still in operation? Are they open Saturdays? What are the Saturday hours? Do they take pictures?

Answer: The passport office on Loudon Road in Concord, New Hampshire is still operating. Here is their address and operating hours.

Concord Post Office
18 Loudon Road Concord, NH 03301
(603) 225-0004
Mon-Fri: 9:30AM - 4:30PM
Sat: By appointment only

This passport office does offer passport photos on site.

For more options, click the link below.

New Hampshire Passport Offices

Comments for Acceptance facility on Loudon Road in Concord, NH

Click here to add your own comments

Out of State Student
by: Anonymous

Question: My permanent residence is in New Jersey, but I am attending college in New York (6+ hour drive). I have not gotten a passport before, can I get one in New York with my out of state license, social security card, and student ID? Will I need more?

Answer: The identification documents you mentioned should suffice for an out-of-state passport application.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

What are the hours of passport offices in Lincoln, NE?

by Kitt
(Lincoln, NE)

Question: We are guardians for a 4-year-old and will be traveling overseas this summer. What documentation is needed to get his passport?

What are the hours of operation for the offices in Lincoln, NE?

Answer: All minors must apply in person accompanied by both parents or guardians. It is necessary to submit a completed application form DS-11 and proof of your ward's U.S. citizenship.

You must provide evidence of your relationship to the child such as a court order of custody or guardianship. Both guardian(s) must present acceptable identification at the time of application and provide photocopies of the identification documents.

If one of the guardians cannot be present at the time of application, the applying guardian must submit a notarized consent form from the non-applying guardian or evidence of sole guardianship.

For complete instructions, click the link below.

How to Get a Child's Passport

University of Nebraska - Lincoln N Card Office
1400 R St. Room 121
Lincoln NE 68588
(402) 472-7331
8:00am - 4:30pm

USPO - Gateway Station
5945 R Street
Lincoln NE 68505-9998
(402) 458-1834
By appointment only

USPO - Lincoln
700 R St.
Lincoln NE 68508
(402) 473-1692
By appointment only

USPO - Statehouse Station
3-1 Centennial Mall South
Lincoln NE 68509
(402) 458-1819
By appointment only

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Location to submit application for passport in Broward County, FL.

by Vicki
(Lauderhill, Florida)

Question: Are there specific locations in Broward County, Florida that I must go to to obtain my first passport or can I go to any passport office?

Answer: You can submit the application for a first time passport at any passport office.

For a list of passport application acceptance facilities near you, click the link below.

Florida Passport Offices

Routine service takes 4-6 weeks. You can request expedited service and get your passport in 2-3 weeks. There is a $60 fee for this service.

To get your passport in two weeks or less, you have to visit a regional passport agency. There is one in Miami. You can also apply through a professional passport expediter.

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering extremely limited in-person services if you need to travel internationally in the next 72 hours. Those with qualified life-or-death emergencies are prioritized.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days).

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 AM to 5PM, call ET 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, 202-647-4000

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!