Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Foreign Entry Requirements: Cambodia to Czech Republic

Cambodia | Cameroon | Canada | Cape Verde | Cayman Islands | Central Republic of Africa | Chad | Chile China | Colombia | Comoros | Congo, Democratic Republic of the | Congo, Republic of the | Cost Rica Cote d'Ivoire | Croatia | Cuba | Curacao | Cyprus | Czech Republic
For a list of entry requirements for other countries, click here.

Cameroon FlagCameroon

A valid passport, Cameroon visa, evidence of yellow-fever vaccination, and current immunization records are required, and travelers may be denied entry if they lack the proper documentation. Passports must be valid for six months from the date of arrival in Cameroon. Visas are not available upon arrival, and must be secured ahead of time.

People of all ages staying in Cameroon for longer than four weeks may be required to show proof of polio vaccination when departing Cameroon. Polio vaccine must be received between four weeks and 12 months before the date of departure from Cameroon and should be officially documented on a yellow vaccination card.

Cameroonian-born U.S. citizens do not have dual citizenship. As a result, naturalized Americans must use their U.S. passports when traveling to Cameroon. Also, there may be cases of hostility from Cameroonian officials when dealing with naturalized citizens.

Travelers should obtain the latest information and details from the Embassy of the Republic of Cameroon, 3400 International Drive, NW,  Washington, DC 20008. Visit the Embassy of Cameroon's web site for the most current visa information.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

Cape Verde FlagCabo Verde (formerly Cape Verde)

Visitors to Cabo Verde must have a valid passport. Effective February 24, 2020, U.S. citizens entering Cabo Verde for tourism for less than 30 days do not require a visa. If you are planning to stay for more than 30 days, you can apply for either a single-entry (90 days) or a multiple-entry visa (5 years). Visas are available at the Cabo Verdean Embassy or upon arrival at eother of the following airports: Nelson Mandela International, Cesaria Evoria, Amilcar Cabral International and Aristedes Pereira International.

WHO vaccination cards are not required of if arriving from the United States. However, the case may be different if you are coming from Senegal or other West African countries en route to Cape Verde. If you are doing the latter, ensure that your vaccination card is up to date to avoid entry hassles.

For further information, contact the Embassy of the Republic of Cape Verde, 3415 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC 20007) or the Consulate General of Cape Verde at 300 Congress Street, Suite 204, Quincy, MA 02169. While overseas, inquiries must be addressed to the nearest Cape Verdean embassy or consulate. The most current visa information can be found at the Embassy of Cape Verde to the United States.

Cayman Islands FlagCayman Islands

All Americans traveling outside the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States. This requirement has been extended to sea travel (except closed loop cruises), including ferry service. U.S. citizens must have a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or passport card for entry or re-entry to the United States.

For U.S. citizens, visas are not required for short-term visits to the Cayman Islands. Visitors traveling to work in the Cayman Islands work must have a temporary work permit from the Department of Immigration of the Cayman Islands, telephone (345) 949-8344. Travelers age 12 and older must pay a departure tax, which is regularly included in airfare. For further information travelers may contact Cayman Islands Department of Tourism offices in Miami, New York, Houston and Chicago.

Central African Republic FlagCentral African Republic

The Central Africa Republic requires visitors to have a passport with at least 6 months validity and proof of current yellow fever inoculation. Visas are not required for stays less than 180 days. However, Americans are advised to check with the airline well ahead of travel as there are some who may still require visas to allow boarding. For the latest information and details, visit the Embassy of the Central African Republic, 2704 Ontario Road, NW, Washington, D.C. 20009. Overseas, inquiries should be made to the nearest Central African Republic Embassy or Consulate. NOTE: The French Embassy may issue visas in countries where no Central African Republic diplomatic mission exists.

Travel within the CAR is restricted, and proper paperwork is needed to travel outside of Bangui. Visitors should check with the authorities in Bangui, such as the Gendarmerie National, and/or the U.S. Embassy about possible restrictions in the areas where they wish to travel.

Chad FlagChad

A valid passport and Chad visa are required. Passports must have at least 6 months validity and 2 visa pages. The government also requires all visitors to show proof of yellow fever vaccination or a medical waiver before granting entry. Immunizations are available at the airport for a fee. Visitors must check in with the National Police and obtain a registration stamp within 72 hours of arrival. Further entry information may be obtained from the Embassy of the Republic of Chad, 2002 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009. Overseas, inquiries should be made at the nearest Chadian embassy or consulate.

First time tourists and humanitarian workers must register with the National Police and obtain a registration stamp within 72 hours of arrival. You need 2 passport-size photos for registration. Once registered, any subsequent visit using the same passport does not require registration. You must register again if you are revisiting with a new passport.

Comoros FlagComoros

Visitors to Comoros must have a passport and onward/return ticket. Visas may be obtained from the Comoran Mission to the United Nations in New York. A visa may also be issued upon arrival. The latest travel details are available from the Mission of the Union of Comoros, 866 United Nations Plaza, Suite 418, New York, NY 10017. Visitors may also work through a travel document expediter to obtain a Comoros visa before they depart.

Democratic Republic of Congo FlagCongo, Democratic Republic of

U.S. citizens must have a passport, Democratic Republic of Congo visa and proof of current yellow fever inoculation. Passports must have at least six months validity remaining. Without these documents, travelers face the risk of temporary detention, passport confiscation, or fines. Information about yellow fever vaccination clinics in the U.S. may be found at the CDC web site. Visas must be secured prior to arrival in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Even with the correct documentation, travelers have been known to experience difficulties at the airport and other ports of entry to the DRC. Visitors have sometimes been temporarily detained, had their passports confiscated, or been asked to pay unofficial fines. In the event of harassment, Americans are advised to contact the U.S. Embassy's Consular Section.

Journalists must have authorization from the Congolese Ministry of Information in Kinshasa in order to work in the DRC, and are encouraged to entry the country via Kinshasa. Mining areas are heavily restricted, and visitors must go through a time-consuming process of approval before they may visit these areas.

Dual nationals arriving in the DRC should carefully consider which passport they use to enter the DRC. For departure from the DRC, airlines will require a valid visa for all destination countries before they will issue a ticket or allow a passenger to board. Airlines also require that the passenger have the correct entry stamp in the passport they wish to use to exit the country. Passengers who are unable to leave the country on the passport they used to enter the DRC may not be able to continue on their travel itinerary.

A valid visa for your next destination country may be required before you are allowed to exit the DRC. All departing travelers are required to pay a USD $50 airport exit fee in cash. This rule is applicable even to U.S. officials.

Additional information about visas may be obtained from the Embassy of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1100 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 725, Washington, D.C. 20036 or the DRC's Permanent Mission to the UN, 866 United Nations Plaza, Suite 511, New York, NY 10017.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

Republic of Congo FlagRepublic of Congo

A passport, Republic of Congo visa and proof of yellow fever inoculation are required for entry. The passport must be valid for at least six months. Visitors must also have a letter of invitation or hotel registration. The new Congolese visa must be used by all visitors in order to gain entry. These new visas are a passport-page-sized sticker with a map outline of the Republic of the Congo in the background.

It is also important to remember that foreign visitors carrying the local currency are not allowed to exit the Republic of Congo. U.S. citizens are therefore advised to limit the amount of local currency they travel with.

Additional information on entry requirements may be obtained from the Embassy of the Republic of the Congo, 1720 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20009 or from the Permanent Mission of the Republic of the Congo to the United Nations, 866 United Nations Plaza - Suite 511 - New York, N.Y. 10017. Overseas, inquiries should be made at the nearest Congolese embassy or consulate.

Click here for courier service to expedite visa to Republic of the Congo

Costa Rica FlagCosta Rica

For entry into Costa Rica, U.S. citizens must present passports that will be valid for the duration of intended stay, and a round trip/outbound ticket. Airlines should not permit passengers to board flights to Costa Rica without a return/onward ticket unless they have Costa Rican residency or visa. Passports should be in good condition; Costa Rican immigration will deny entry if the passport is damaged in any way. Proof of financial capacity amounting to USD $100 per month is required.

To stay beyond 90 days, travelers must submit an application for an extension to the Office of Temporary Permits in the Costa Rican Department of Immigration. Tourist visas are usually not extended except under special circumstances, and extension requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Tourists who stay over ninety days without approved extension may experience a delay at the airport when departing, and persons who overstayed previously may be denied entry to Costa Rica. A departure tax of USD $29 must be paid before leaving Costa Rica.

Persons traveling to Costa Rica from some countries in South America and Sub-Saharan Africa must provide evidence of a valid yellow fever vaccination prior to entry. These countries are Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Guyana and Venezuela. Travelers are allowed entry no sooner than 10 days after yellow fever inoculation.

The most authoritative and up-to-date information on Costa Rican entry and exit requirements may be obtained from the Consular Section of the Embassy of Costa Rica at 2112 S Street, NW - Washington, DC 20008.

Cote dIvoire FlagCote d'Ivoire

U.S. citizens must have a passport valid for six months, a Cote d'Ivoire visa, and a certificate of yellow fever vaccination. Without a vaccination, visitors may have to submit to on-site inoculation in order to enter. Visas are should ideally be obtained ahead of time; while airport visas are now available, request for such must be submitted online prior to arrival. Refer to Cote d'Ivoire's website for more information. Foreign travelers are advised not to surrender their passports or travel documents to individuals offering to expedite passport and customs services, as it may result in theft or exorbitant fees.

Visitors who plan to reside in the Cote d'Ivoire must visit the Office d'Identification Nationale to apply for a "titre de sejour".

Note that exit permits must be obtained for all art objects brought out of Cote d'Ivoire. This permit is issued only by the National Museum at the cost of 2000 CFA plus 500 CFA per object.

Travelers may obtain the latest information and details on entry requirements from the Embassy of the Republic of Cote d'Ivoire, 2424 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20007. Cote d'Ivoire has a Consulate in Los Angeles. You may forward communication to PO BOX 311145 Fontana CA 9233. There are honorary consulates for Cote d'Ivoire in San Francisco, Stamford, Orlando, Houston and Detroit. Overseas, travelers should inquire at the nearest Ivorian embassy or consulate.

Croatia FlagCroatia

A passport is required for travel to Croatia. The passport has to be valid for three months beyond the intended date of departure from the country. If transiting through a Schengen country, the State Department recommends six months remaining validity on the passport.  A visa is not required for U.S. passport holders for tourist or business trips of fewer than 90 days within a six-month period. Foreign citizens must register with the Croatian government within 24 hours of arrival by visiting the local police station. Hotels or accommodations booked through a company will register visitors automatically. U.S. citizens who fail to register may be fined and charged with a misdemeanor offense.

Visitors must obtain a temporary residence permit if they are already in Croatia and wish to stay longer than 90 days. Initial temporary stay permits must come from the Croatian Embassy or consulate in the United States.

Applicants for residency will need birth and marriage/divorce certificates where applicable, and an authenticated FBI Identification Record Request. Documents must be translated into Croatian and authenticated with an "apostille" stamp. If an extension of an approved temporary stay is needed, U.S. citizens should submit a request to the local police having jurisdiction over their place of residence in Croatia no later than 30 days in advance of the last day of authorized stay.

For further information on entry requirements for Croatia, including information regarding requirements for residency and work permits, travelers may also contact the Embassy of Croatia at 2343 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008, the Croatian Consulates in New York City, Chicago, and Los Angeles.


A valid passport is required for air travel to Curacao, and a passport or passport card is required for sea travel. Visitors should be able to show onward/return tickets as well as proof of accommodations and sufficient funds for the duration of their stay. U.S. citizens may remain in Curacao for up to 180 days, a period which may be extended by the immigration office.

Departing travelers may be required to pay an airport departure fee. This amount may already be included in the airline ticket price but travelers are advised to check with the airline company to be certain.

Contact the Royal Netherlands Embassy, 4200 Linnean Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008, or the Dutch Consulates in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Houston or Miami. Visitors may also get current information from the Embassy of the Netherlands website.

Cyprus FlagCyprus

A passport with at least 3 months remaining validity is required for travel to Cyprus. The State Department recommends 6 months if you plan on transiting a Schengen county. Cyprus is a member of the European Union but is not party to the Schengen agreement. A visa is not required for a stay of up to 90 days, provided that one has an onward/return ticket, proof sufficient funds to cover your stay and documents required to travel to your next destination. For longer stays, a Cyprus visa or residence permit is required.

The government of Cyprus does not consider residence permits issued by the Turkish Cypriot authorities to be valid, and will not issue residency permits to individuals who live in the areas outside government control. If Americans stay in areas outside government control for 90 days or more, they may be detained at Larnaca airport or prevented from entering Government of Cyprus controlled areas.

For further information on entry requirements for Cyprus, travelers can contact the Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus at 2211 R. St. NW, Washington, DC 20008, tel. (202) 462-5772, or the Cypriot Consulate in New York at 13 East 40th St., 5th Floor, New York, NY 10016, tel. (212) 686-6016/17. 

Czech Republic FlagCzech Republic

The Czech Republic is a party to the Schengen Agreement. As such, U.S. citizens may enter the Czech Republic for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. The passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. To ensure that no problems are encountered while traveling, the State Department recommends having 6 months validity remaining.

All foreigners seeking entry in the Czech Republic must carry proof finances to cover their stay as well as of a medical insurance policy contracted for payment of all costs for hospitalization and medical treatment in the Czech Republic. In most cases, a health insurance card or an internationally recognized credit card with health insurance would be acceptable.

A Czech Republic visa is required for U.S. citizens for longer stays and in order to work in the Czech Republic. In such cases, it is recommended that travelers obtain a visa 3-4 months in advance of going to the Czech Republic. The Embassy of the Czech Republic's website provides the most current visa information.

Note: Although European Union regulations require that non-EU visitors obtain a stamp in their passports upon initial entry to a Schengen country, many borders are not staffed with officers carrying out this function. If an American citizen wishes to ensure that his or her entry is properly documented, it may be necessary to request a stamp at an official point of entry. Under local law, travelers without a stamp in their passports may be questioned and asked to document the length of their stay in Schengen countries at the time of departure or at any other point during their visit, and could face possible fines or other repercussions if unable to do so.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

IMPORTANT: The foreign entry requirements listed here were obtained from foreign embassies or consulates. This information is subject to change. Verify the data with the consular officials of the countries you plan to visit well in advance. For further information, see our embassy list.

About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.