This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Does a minor under the age of 16 need to be present at the time of application?

Question: If a parent is applying in person at a passport office, does the applying minor child need to be present?

Answer: Yes, minors must appear in person when applying for a passport. This requirement applies to all minors independent of age. Even infants must be presented at the time an application is submitted on their behalf.

Also, both parents or guardians must appear with the minor. For complete instructions, please visit the following web page.

How to Get a Child's Passport

Comments for Does a minor under the age of 16 need to be present at the time of application?

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

Question: Can the children get the passport if his mom and dad is not British but he was born in England? Yes or no? If yes, how? Thanks.

Answer: Please contact Her Majesty's Passport Office regarding British passports.

Renew minors passport
by: Anonymous

Question: How can I renew my child's passport without the father's consent? The father is not in the picture. Haven't had contact with the father for more than 10 years.

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. If the minor is still age 15 or younger, the process to obtain your child's new passport is the same as the first time you applied. The father's consent is required. If absolutely no contact can be established, you may submit Form DS-5525 and explain the situation in as much detail as possible. You should also describe the efforts you have made to contact the father. This form must be submitted with the rest of the application requirements.

If the minor is already 16 or 17, he/she may apply for his/her own passport as long as he/she has a government-issued ID like a driver's license. He/she will then only need a signed statement of awareness/consent from at least one parent plus a photocopy of that parent's ID. These should be submitted with the requirements for a new adult U.S. passport.

Expired passport for child five days from being 16
by: Anonymous

Question: Do both parents have to be present to renew an expired passport for a child that will turn 16 in 5 days but we want to go to Buffalo tomorrow to get it renewed?

Answer: Since your child is not yet 16, he/she needs to apply with both parents present. If he/she applies after his/her 16th birthday and he/she already has his/her own government-issued ID, he/she may apply on his/her own. He/She will then only need a signed consent from at least one parent plus a photocopy of that parent's ID.

Minors need to be present?
by: Anonymous

Question: We have the consent form from their mother which was signed but she is taking them on vacation next week. Can we go submit their passports without them?

Answer: Minors need to be present when applications for your passports are submitted.

by: Anonymous

Question: How do we get my son's passport renewed if his father is in Cape Town and we are in Johannesburg? We need to fly out the country and need his passport renewed.

Answer: The father can mail you a notarized Form DS-3053 which you can submit with the rest of the requirements for your child's passport at the U.S. Consulate General in Johannesburg. He can have the form notarized at the U.S. Consulate General in Cape Town.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.