Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Do I need to fill out Form DS-82 to renew passport in person?

Question: I need to renew my passport but I cannot wait 4-6 weeks. I am going in person to a same day service. What do I need to bring?

Answer: The same requirements apply whether you send your application for renewal by mail or submit it in person at a regional passport agency.

To get a passport renewed, you must submit the following:

* completed application form DS-82
* most recently issued passport
* one passport photo (taken within last 6 months)
* evidence of legal name change (if applicable)

You will also need to present proof of imminent travel.

Note, you cannot renew a passport in person at a local application acceptance facility. This can only be done at a regional agency if you are scheduled to travel abroad within the next two weeks or need to obtain a travel visa within four weeks.

For more information, click the appropriate link below.

Passport Renewal Form DS-82

Passport Renewal Expediting Service

Comments for Do I need to fill out Form DS-82 to renew passport in person?

Click here to add your own comments

No response from Passport Service
by: Cindy G

Question: It’s been more than 6 weeks since I submitted Form DS-82 to change the name on my passport. How can I check the status or tell if Passport Services even received my application and supporting documents?

Answer: Hello, Cindy.

Check Your Application Status

by: Anonymous

Question: I am going to renew my U.S passport there in U.S Consular Agency In Cebu City. Just wanted to know what form to be used and the requirements so I can prepare everything I need. Thank you and your answer will be appreciated much.

Answer: Following are passport renewal requirements:

1. Form DS-82
2. Current passport
3. One new passport photo
4. Payment for fees

Please contact the consular office before going to find out if they have specific instructions for you.

Renewal of Philippine passport in the US
by: Anonymous

Question: Good morning. What do I need to fill in the passport renewal application form on my last name and husband's name in the application for renewal of passport? I divorced my husband in the Philippines and didn't file annulment yet. I got married here and now I am separated with my husband here that I got married to 5 years ago.

I don't know what I need to do to make my separation legal but we were separated for 4 years with my husband here . Is it considered legal separation already? since in the application form you have to check on of selection the choices on civil status. I am quite confused on what to do . Please I need an answer. Thank you.

Answer: We are not familiar with Philippine passport applications as we specialize in U.S. passport issuance. Please contact the Philippine Embassy for assistance.

Appointment of passport renewal?
by: Anonymous

Question: I want to renew my passport at the local post office. Will I need to schedule an appointment to do so in person?

Answer: U.S. passport renewals are done via mail if your passport meets the following requirements:

1. It was issued when you were 16 or older
2. It was issued within the last 15 years
3. It is undamaged
4. You can provide documents of legal name change (if applicable)

You only apply in person for a renewal if you need to travel in 2 weeks or less or 4 weeks if you need a visa to travel. This can only be done at a regional passport agency.

If your passport does not meet one or more of the requirements above, you need to apply for a new passport in person at an acceptance facility like a local post office. Some facilities require appointments while others welcome walk-ins.

Instructions via phone
by: Anonymous

Question: When you call the number to schedule an appointment at a regional center, the summary stated of what to bring with you does not include social security card.

Answer: It is not necessary to present your social security card when applying for a renewal. You do, however, have to provide your social security number of the application form.

name change
by: Anonymous

Question: If I'm mailing in the DS-82 with proof of name change (marriage certificate), will I get my marriage certificate back with my renewed passport?

Answer: Your marriage certificate will be mailed to you. It may be sent separately from your new passport and, therefore, may arrive on a different day.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility.

Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC.

A registered expedited passport courier can often assist in obtaining a passport as quickly as the same day. You can learn more about this service here.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!