This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can I travel on a green card?

by Connie
(Paramount, CA USA)

Question: I am a Filipino living in the United States on a VISA. Can I travel to the places below without a passport even if I am not a United States citizen? I would like to travel to St. Thomas, Antigua, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Tortola, and Puerto Rico.

Thank you for your assistance with my questions.

Answer: You can travel outside the U.S. if you possess a green card. You will need a valid passport from the Philippines. When returning to the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present your valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card).

Entry requirements for each destination varies. Some requirements are listed below along with contact information for others.

St. Thomas and Puerto Rico: You do not need any additional travel documents other than your passport and green card since both of these are U.S. territories.

Antigua: Contact the Embassy of Antigua and Barbuda located at 3216 New Mexico Ave. NW in Washington, DC. The phone number is 202 362 5122 and the Email address is

Dominican Republic: Visitors who do not obtain a Dominican visa prior to entry must purchase a tourist card upon arrival to enter the country. Tourist cards cost ten U.S. dollars, which must be paid in U.S. currency. Tourist cards may be purchased at the Dominican Embassy in Washington or Dominican consulates prior to arrival, as well as at Dominican airports at the time of entry.

Barbados: For information about entry requirements for Filipinos, contact the Embassy of Barbados, 2144 Wyoming Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008, telephone (202) 939-9200, fax (202) 332-7467, e-mail:; or the consulates of Barbados in Los Angeles, Miami or New York.

Tortola: According to the British Virgin Island Tourist Board, visitors to Tortola "may be granted entry for up to one month at the ports of entry, provided that they possess return (or ongoing) tickets, evidence of adequate means of support and pre-arranged accommodations during their stay."

Comments for Can I travel on a green card?

Click here to add your own comments

Visa to Australia
by: Jhoanna

Question: Hi! My husband and I both have green cards. We have Philippine passports. Our son is a U.S. citizen with a U.S. passport. We are planning to visit our family in Australia. What do we need to do? Do we need to apply for a visa? Thank you.

Answer: Please contact the Australian Embassy for entry requirements specific to Philippine passport holders.

With regard to your son, you may apply for an Australian ETA for him.

Lost Philippine Passport and US Green Card
by: Anonymous

Question: My fiancé lost her Philippines Passport and U.S. Green Card. She’s in the Philippines right now. Can she just apply for the Transportation letter to come back to the states? Or does she need her passport as well?

Answer: A valid passport is required to board a flight and get back in the United States. Please have your fiance contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila for more information.

Green Card Holder with Zimbabwe Citizenship
by: Anonymous

Question: Can I travel to one of the following with a U.S. Green Card being a Zimbabwe citizen?

Anguilla, Antigua & Barbados, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Grenada, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Vincent, & the Grenadines, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Mexico or Cayman Islands

Answer: You need to contact the embassy of each country in your list find out entry requirements specific to Zimbabwe passport holders.

If you are concerned about getting back in the United States, there should be no issue as long as you arrive with a valid passport and green card.

by: Singh

Question: Hi. Can I travel on a green card to Nepal without own country's passport?

Answer: No, you cannot. You need a passport to fly out of the United States to Nepal or any other country.

Green card holder to Australia
by: Luvskie

Question: I have a valid US greencard and Philippine passport, will I still need a visa to travel to Australia for two weeks and how much would the visa fee cost? Also, my father is a Australian citizen.

Answer: Please contact the Australian Embassy for information on entry requirements for Philippine passport holders.

Traveling to the Philippines
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi! I just want to make sure that I can go back to the Philippines (and the U.S.) without any hassle. My husband booked me a flight using my maiden name which matches my passport (green card is married name). Do I need to bring something else to show at my point of entry? I read some blogs and some said to just bring my marriage certificate (GC) just in case. Thank you!

Answer: You should have no issues entering the Philippines as long as your passport meets the country's requirements. If you are a Philippine passport holder, you should have no problems entering your home country.

Should there be any questions regarding the difference in the names on your passport and green card when you get back to the U.S., your marriage certificate should suffice as a link between the names.

Important question about visa
by: victoria

Question: Hello! I have really important question. I'm gonna buy the vacations in Dominican Republic. But before this I would like to know if I should get a Dominican visa. Threre is my case: I'm a permanent resident of the United Stated (I've a Green Card) and I'm living in the US, but I'm not a citizen and I don't have a Travel Passport. I'm a citizen of Republic of Belarus and I have a passport of this country. Please let me know what I have to do, because I'm so worried. Thank you in advance.

Answer: Please contact the Embassy of the Dominican Republic for answers to questions about entry requirements for citizens of Belarus.

Lost Greencard in Dominican Republic
by: miriam

Question: My brother lost his green card in the Dominican Republic what can he do to enter the US again?

Answer: Your brother should contact the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo for assistance.

Visiting UK
by: AnonymousTrudy

Question: I am English and hold a British Passport but I married in the US in 2008 I know I have to get my name changed but am waiting for my permanent residency card to come back. Once this is done, I can go to the Uk, but do I need anything to get back into the united states because a us friend went on his and they wouldn't let him back on his British passport I am visiting family its the first time I have gone back since I moved to the states so I am very confused on everything....many thanks

Answer: Visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services International Travel as a Permanent Resident page.

visa to australia
by: islandorchid

Question: Hello! I want to know what kind of visa I need to obtain to travel to Australia for visit (one month). I am a Permanent Resident (Green Card) holder and my son is 2 years old and a US Citizen. Please advise me what kind of visa we both need to obtain and do I need to apply separately as my son is a US citizen and is eligible for ETA? Thank you so much.

Answer: Visit the web site of the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship for information about visas to Australia.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.