Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Can I keep the visa pages from my current passport?

by Lauren
(Lombard, IL USA)

Question: I have visa stamps from really cool countries, and I would hate to lose them when I have to mail in my old passport. I need a new passport because I got married. Is there anything I can do to keep them?

Answer: If you want to know if you can remove the visa pages in your passport before mailing in it, the answer is "No".

Your old passport will be returned to you after you application is processed. Usually, the new passport and the old passport are mailed separately so they may not arrive on the same day.

For greater security, you are encouraged to use a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope. It is also recommended that you mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method. For complete instructions, click the link below.

Apply for Passport Name Change

If you still feel uncomfortable in mailing your old passport, then you can apply for a new passport using Form DS-11. This is the form that is used by those who either need to obtain a first-time passport or who are unable to submit their old passport.

Using form DS-11 does require you appear before an authorized passport agent. For more information, click the link below.

How to Get a New Passport

For a list of passport application acceptance facilities where you can submit the form in Illinois, click the link below.

Illinois Passport Offices

If you need to get the name changed or get a new passport fast (less than two weeks), you can apply at the regional agency or through a professional expediter. For details, click the links below.

Chicago Passport Agency

Get Passport Fast

Comments for Can I keep the visa pages from my current passport?

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

Cool places visited, photo that visa page from your old passport and paste them among the photos you saved from the trip

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!