This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can a 16 year old get a passport without a parent?

Question: My 16-year-old son has an expired passport. My husband and I are in Tonga at the moment so we sent him back to the US before the passport expired. We sent him to renew or get a new one and they told him he needs a parents' consent. I was under the impression that at 16 you did not need a parent. Anyways, what now? Thank you for your help.

Answer: Minors age 16 must establish parental consent when applying for a new passport. If consent is not implied on the application form, then it can be provided in written form or by the presence of a parent. You can have the statement of consent form notarized at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general. There is a U.S. Virtual Presence Post in Tonga but visits from the consul are infrequent. The U.S. Embassy in Suva keep regular hours.

Comments for Can a 16 year old get a passport without a parent?

Click here to add your own comments

16-year-old's passport application
by: Anonymous

Question: I am 16 and my parents are divorced, right now I live with my mom in the U.S. and my father cannot come to sign but he wants me to get my passport. Can I go only with my mother and get my passport? What do I need to do it, if possible?

Answer: At 16, you can apply with only one parent present as long as you can present your own government-issued ID. You need to submit the same requirements to apply for a new adult passport.

Can I renew my passport without any of my parents?
by: Anonymous

Question: I am an American citizen but I have been living in my mom's country since I was very young. I came to America and my mom doesn't have any valid identification;my parents are divorced and my mom does have the form from where she gets the full authority over me. How could I apply for my passport? I am 16 and my passport is about to expire.

Answer: If you have your own ID, you can apply for your passport on your own. While a written consent accompanied by a copy of ID from at least one parents is recommended, the consent may also be implied. For example, the check for the fees may be written by your mother and this will serve as implied consent. We recommend calling 1-877-487-2778 to speak to a customer service representative.

16-year-old daughter
by: Anonymous

Question: How do I apply for a passport renewal for my daughter months before the passport expires in Los Angeles?

Answer: Your daughter must apply in person for a new passport at an application acceptance facility. At 16, she does not need to be accompanied by parents if she has her own photo ID.

New Passport Requirements

Los Angeles Passport Offices

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport for 16 or 17 Year Old FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.