Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Will my maiden name appear as my middle name on my new passport?

by Julie
(Boston, MA, USA)

Question: I need to renew my passport for an upcoming trip, but I'm concerned with how my name will appear to book the tickets. When I got married, I took my husband's last name and made my maiden name my middle name. So my name was FirstName MiddleName LastName and is now FirstName MaidenName Husband'sLastName.

I changed this with the social security office. I understand that I need to submit proof of my name change with my renewal application so I've requested a certified marriage certificate, but I'm concerned that this will only take care of my last name and not my middle name. I'm afraid my passport could come as FirstName MiddleName Husband'sLastName instead of FirstName MaidenName Husband'sLastName.

Should I try to apply in person at the regional office so they can tell me how my name will appear before booking my tickets?

Thanks for your help

Answer: You do not need to apply in person. In fact, you can only apply in person at a regional passport center if you can present evidence of plans to travel within 2 weeks.

The name that will be printed in your passport is the one you provide on the renewal application form and can support with an official document such as an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Passport services does not choose the name that is put on a passport. Passports are issued in the legal names of the applicants. For this reason, you must submit evidence of the legal name change.

As long as the marriage certificate shows your new name as FirstName MaidenName Husband'sLastName, then that is what will be in the passport. If it does not, then the only way to have that name in your passport is to request a court order for a legal name change.

Comments for Will my maiden name appear as my middle name on my new passport?

Click here to add your own comments

CA Marriage License Does Not Include A Middle Name
by: Anonymous

Question: I am an ex-pat living in Germany applying for passport renewal via the US Consulate General in Frankfurt.

I was married in 2013 and my new married name on the California marriage certificate is FirstName MarriedLastName (the MiddleName field is blank). I would now like my new passport to be FirstName MaidenMiddleName MarriedLastName. I have not changed any other official IDs (e.g. CA Driver's License, SS card) to reflect my married name, thus far.

Would the passport office accept my application if I requested the MaidenMiddleName?

Answer: The name change should be accepted. Please contact the U.S. consulate you are applying at to verify and obtain more information.

Paternal and Maternal last names
by: Michelle

Question: On my marriage certificate, my husband's name appears with both his paternal and maternal last names, since that's what is on his birth certificate (typical for Latin American countries). However, all his IDs (driver's license, military, SSN, etc) only have his paternal last name. I only want the paternal last name on my passport and other IDs. Will the passport agency accept the name I want on the application?

Answer: Yes.

The marriage certificate proves the name
by: Anonymous

The marriage certificate should specify the groom's name. That is the "proof" of the new last name. The bride's name can then be changed to first, maiden, and last OR first, middle, and last, whichever the bride chooses. The names just have to be somewhere on the document. The certificate itself is "proof" of an event that occurred that allows a bride to change her name. Some states do have a spot on the certificate that specifies the bride's new full name after marriage, but many do not.

No court order needed
by: aaron

Question: I just called the passport office. They said the marriage certificate does NOT need to show the new married name (First Maiden MarriedLast). They said they will just take the husbands last name. Not sure how that would work if you wanted it to instead read First Middle MarriedLast. I'm guessing they will go off of the name you put on the application form, as long as the husbands last name matches the marriage certificate.

Answer: You're correct.

Middle name on passport after marriage
by: married name change

Question: I have changed my name on social security card due to new marriage to now be first name---middle name of prior married name--new married last name. My passport currently reads firsts name--maiden--prior married name. My marriage certificate only indicates my name PRIOR to having married my current husband, there was no space for what my married name would be. Will sending my marriage certificate (and fees) be enough to change my name to reflect the First, middle as prior married name, new married last name?

Answer: Yes, it should suffice.

Similar Issue
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport reads FirstName MaidenMiddle MaidenLast. I changed my name when I got married and now it reads FirstName MaidenMiddle-MaidenLast MarriedLast. I plan on traveling to Barbados in May. Can I just book everything in my maiden name and be fine even though it has legally changed? I mean, technically my maiden name is still in my name.

Answer: Please book your tickets in the name that appears on your passport.

Maiden name
by: Melanie

Question: Can I submit my SS card and driver's license that shows my maiden name being used as my middle name since my marriage certificate doesn't show new name?

Answer: If you are applying for a new passport for the first time, you only need to take your birth certificate and driver's license as long as the name you request on the passport application matches one of those.

If you are applying for a passport renewal or name change, you must submit evidence of the legal name change. If your marriage certificate does not include the new name, you may be asked to submit a court ordered name change.

Similar Name Change Predicament
by: Kylie

Question: Hello. I am also having a similar issue. My marriage license is from New York and it reads FirstName MiddleInitial MaidenLastName and MarriedLastName. I want my license to read FirstName MaidenLast MarriedLast and have done this on my SS card, voter registration, and a bank card. What will my Passport name be if I submit this information now? Thank you!

Answer: Your passport will be issued in the name you request on the application form as long as it is supported by your name change document.

Marriage License Does Not List New Name
by: Anonymous

Question: My marriage license only lists my former name: First Middle Maiden. Licenses in Alabama do not provide a place for what your married name will be. How does this affect my name change in my passport? I was able to change with SSA with no trouble to First Maiden Husband's. PLEASE HELP!!!

Answer: If the name you want in your passport is not listed on your official marriage certificate, you will need to petition for a name change court order before applying for a passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!