Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

What do I enter for place and date of name change of form DS-82?

Question: I was married 5 years ago but did not change my legal name till recently. What do I enter for question 11 on form DS-82 for place and date of name change: the date/place of the marriage certificate (5 yrs ago) or the date/place of my recent legal name change with Social Security?

Answer: *The passport will be issued in your legal name. Documents that serve as evidence of a legal name change include a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order. A Social Security card is not acceptable as evidence of a name change.

If you assumed the new name at the time of your marriage but this is not stated on your marriage certificate, then you need to submit at least 3 public records showing your date and place of birth that show exclusive use of your assumed name for at least 5 years.

Also, the date and place of your marriage would be included on the passport application form DS-82 if that is the time that you assumed the new name.

Return to Passport Application Form Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.