Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

We accidentally washed my passport. Do we need to get a new one?

by Mike
(Evergreen, Colorado)

Question: We accidentally washed my passport. The photo is still good but the blue cover looks worn. Do we need to get a new one?

Answer: Significantly damaged passports are no longer valid for travel nor can they be used to apply for a renewal. If your passport has been significantly damaged, especially the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo, you will need to apply for a new passport.

Looking "worn" may not constitute significant damage. The Department of State declares that "water damage, a significant tear, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages (torn out), a hole punch and other injuries may constitute 'damage' requiring use of Form DS-11."

If you need to apply for a new passport, you must appear before a passport agent and submit the following documents:

* Application Form DS-11
* Evidence of Citizenship
* Proof of Identity
* Photocopy of Identification Document
* One Passport Photo

You can complete the form before arriving at the acceptance facility but remember not to sign it until the agent asks you to do so.

For complete instructions and to download the application, click the link below.

Apply for New Passport

Click the link below to locate a nearby acceptance facility.

Colorado Passport Offices

If you need to replace your passport quickly, click the link below.

Get Passport Fast

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 10 and 13 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 7 to 9 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Expedite Your Passport Now!