Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Should I enter our child's name on her passport application?

by Cary

Question: We are planning to get a first passport for our 1-year-old daughter. At the top of page 1 of the application, shall I enter my daughter's name or my own name (applying on her behalf)?

The boxes at the top of page 2 ask specifically for "Name of Applicant", but at the top of page 1 there is no such specific indication of whose name to list.

Thank you for your time.

Answer: The name you should write at the top of page 1 is that of your daughter. The application is for her passport and it will be issued in her name. The reason that you have to write the name again on page 2 is in case the two pages get separated at the agency.

Remember, minors must appear before an agent with both parents. Also, you should not sign the application until requested to do so.

Since you are in Japan, you must submit the application at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. For more information, click the link of the one nearest you.

U.S. Embassy in Tokyo

When the passport arrives, you will have to sign it for your daughter. In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so the State Department knows who signed for the child.

Return to Passport Application Form Questions.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.