Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Name on my birth certificate is different from my current name

by Tom
(Green River, Wyo USA)

Question: I am trying to plan a trip to Ukraine for the first week of December. I need to get my passport to go. I do not have my birth certificate and am currently on the process of obtaining it. The trouble is that the last name on it is different from my current name. When I was 7 years old, my mother left me with my stepfather. My name at that time was different and he just had me start using his last name. He is dead now. There is no documentation of a name change. My social is in my current name. Also, my drivers license is expired because I need a birth certificate to change it. I moved from California to Wyoming. This is honestly a true story and I am not a crook. :) You look like you know what you are doing, can you tell me how hard it would be to get me a passport? I just decided to go on this trip; not just waiting until the last minute. I am just now applying for a new one.

Answer: You must apply for a passport in your legal name. There are a couple of options. The first, and probably most effective, is to apply for a court order name change. The Wyoming Code of Civil Procedure states,

Every person desiring to change his name may petition the district court of the county of the petitioner's residence for the desired change. The petition shall be verified by affidavit setting forth the petitioner's full name, the name desired, a concise statement of the reason for the desired change, the place of his birth, his place of residence and the length of time he has been an actual bona fide resident of the county in which the petition is filed. If the court is satisfied that the desired change is proper and not detrimental to the interests of any other person, it shall order the change to be made, and record the proceedings in the records of the court.

However, one of the requirements is that you be a bona fide resident of the county in which you are making the petition for a period of at least two (2) years. Since you mentioned the fact that you moved from California to Wyoming, you may not meet this requierment.

The second option, which is much more difficult due to the increase in identity theft and terrorism, is to request the name change based on use. Basically, you must prove exclusive use of the name for a period of at least five (5) years. If you choose this method, you should submit as many documents as possible which prove the exclusive use of the name. The State Department only requires 3 public records but it is difficult to say whether or not they will accept the ones you send and not request more. To avoid this, I recommend you send more.

Early public records should show your name, date of birth, place of birth, and preferably be created within the first five years of your life. Examples of early public records are:

* Baptismal certificate
* Hospital birth certificate
* Census record
* Early school record
* Family bible record
* Doctor's record of post-natal care

Visit the web page below and click the links for U.S. citizenship and identification documents to get more information.

New Passport Requirements

Comments for Name on my birth certificate is different from my current name

Click here to add your own comments

Misspelling on Birth Certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: My first name is misspelled on my Birth Certificate. I have the correct spelling on my SS# card and Drivers License. Will this prevent me from obtaining my passport?

Answer: No, it will not prevent you from getting a passport. As long as the name you enter in the application is supported by either birth certificate or drover's license, you should be okay.

Get Passport Fast

Birth certificate issue
by: Anonymous

Question: I have legally changed my name, and have certified court documents to reflect the legal change. I had my first name changed in 2014. However, I’ve been unable to have the changes reflected on my birth certificate. All my legal documents (drivers license, ssn card, etc) all reflect the new legal change. Can I still get a passport?

Answer: Yes, you may still get a passport. There may be some issues/questions since your citizenship evidence (birth certificate) does not have your legal name but it should be okay as long as you submit sufficient identification documents including your name change court order.

Update passport to match birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I have two names on my birth certificate and somehow when I got my passport, they only put my middle name on it. I never made an issue about it, but now, years later, I need to have both names on my passport. How can I update it? I do not have any other ID that shows both names (my SS, driver's license etc were all issued with just my middle name).

Answer: Your ID having only your middle name must have been the reason why your passport was issued with also just that. To remedy this, it is best to have at least your driver's license changed to have both names.

After this, you may submit a new application to have both names on your passport.

Application for Child
by: PJ

Question: We are applying for my child's first passport (under 16 years old). Her birth certificate has my wife's previous last name. All of her documents (SS card, driver's license, current passport, etc) have long since been changed to her new last name.

Does it matter that the mother's last name on my child's birth certificate is different than that which we put on the application and the identity documentation we provide?

Answer: It should be acceptable as long as the other details match.

by: Amy

Question: I applied for my passport but my last name is Wilson. I was married but not anymore I didn't change my last name back and only my birth certificate says Hester but my ID says Wilson.

Answer: The passport will be issued in the name you entered on the application form as long as it is supported by the IDs you presented with it.

1st time passport
by: T.

Question: I changed my name when I was married (SS, DL updated) and chose not to change it back when I got divorced.

However, my birth certificate was not amended. I now live halfway across the country from the state I was born in so that's not a practical option. Would I need to submit the marriage certificate as proof of name change or not because the state ID and SS reflect my current name?

Answer: There will be no need to submit your marriage certificate for a first-time application. The passport will be issued in your current name as long as you submit your driver's license reflecting said name.

Name difference
by: Anonymous

Question: My birth last name is different than on my state-issued ID. My last name is hyphenated with my birth name and married name. Will there be an issue with applying for a passport?

Answer: As long as the name you enter in the application form is supported by either ID or birth certificate, there should not be any issue.

by: Anonymous

Question: I’ve recently left a comment stating I made a legal name change, everything is updated but the birth certificate. You mention I should get my birth certificate amended to make the process easier.

But there’s another comment for another person in the same situation and they were told they would be issued a passport despite their birth certificate not being changed after all of their documents were updated except for the birth certificate. Why is that?

It should be noted I’m not able to physically go to the place to make the change to my certificate because I no longer live in the state it was issued in. I also don’t know how safe the vital records websites are online to request to amend.

Answer: Yes, it is possible that you will still be issued a passport even if you were not to amend your birth certificate.

I posted the advice because some applicants have been asked to provide other documents (at least 5 years old) bearing the name they wish to be printed on their passports even after submitting legal name change documents.

Considering that your name change was recent, I figured it will be easier and less complicated for you to have your birth certificate amended. However, with more information provided, I should change my advice. You may apply for your passport with your birth certificate, primary ID (preferably a driver's license), and name change court order.

Passport requirements
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm applying for my first passport. I've legally changed my first name with court documents supporting it and updated my social security and ID, however, my birth certificate shows my old name. Do I need to update my birth certificate showing my new first name in order to get a passport?

Answer: Yes, it'll be less complicated to have all your documents amended before applying for your passport.

Middle name is different on birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: All of my life I have been using my middle name Akesha. All of my documents, diplomas, bank accounts, driver's license-- everything has that spelling.

The only two outliers are my birth certificate and SS which has it spelled Akisha.

I want to get a first-time passport for my 2-year-old. When I applied for her birth certificate I put the Akisha as I now know that is the legal spelling of my name. Will this be an issue since my supporting documents will have a different spelling middle name to my daughter's birth certificate?

Answer: Since Akesha and Akisha are common derivates, it should not be an issue.

Different last names on social security card and all other documents
by: Anonymous

Question: My name on my social included my father's last name and my mothers maiden last name but all other documents (birth certificate, ID) only have my father's last name. My first name is the same on all documents? Will I still be able to get a passport?

Answer: Yes, you should still be able to apply for a passport.

Get Passport Fast

Mom's name changed
by: Anonymous

Question: One of the questions the application asks for is the parent's information. My mom recently became a U.S. citizen and officially changed her name. Am I entering the information as her new name or the name that is on my birth certificate?

Answer: Please enter your mother's name as it appears on your birth certificate.

What is my birth name, maiden name?
by: Anonymous

Question: I got married but I kept my last name because my husband was going through naturalization (he changed his full name several years later after we got married). This year, I decided to change to his current new last name. So, I changed my last name through a court order (not marriage).

Is my birth/maiden name his current new last name? (because I changed through court order).

Answer: Your birth/maiden name is the name printed on your birth certificate.

Birth Certificate Name Is Different From Current Name
by: Sheila H.

Question: My mother-in-law is in need of a passport to go on a family trip. Her current name is not what is listed on her birth certificate. At 70 years old they did stuff differently back then. All IDs, social security cards, and bank accounts match; the outlier is the birth certificate. How can she obtain a passport? How can she obtain an updated birth certificate without traveling to her state of birth?

Answer: As long as other details match like her first name, middle name, birth date, birth place, etc. she will still be issued a passport in her current legal name.

You may contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Court-ordered name change/different name on birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I had a court-ordered name change, updated my Social Security card and my driver's license etc., but did not change my birth certificate (as that was my name at birth). I'd like to get a passport. What do I need to do? Can I use a copy of my birth certificate (with my old name) along with a copy of the court decree? Or do I have to do something else?

Answer: There is no need to submit your court decree since your IDs have the name you legally use. As long as other details match, your passport will be issued in your current legal name.

Name change
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, I have recently changed my name through a court order. I have already updated my name on my ID and Social Security Card. My old name is still on my current passport. I wanted to update my passport as well, to do so, do I need to update my naturalization certificate first?
So, my question is will I need to update my naturalization certificate first or my passport first?

Thank you very much for your time!

Answer: There is no need to update your naturalization certificate. To change the name on your passport, please mail the following to the address on the application form:

1. Form DS-82
2. Current passport
3. Original name change court order
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees
Application fee: $130
Expedite fee (optional): $60
1-2 days delivery (optional, recommended): $18.32

Routine service currently takes 7 to 10 weeks while expedited service takes 4 to 6 weeks. If you need your passport sooner, you need to call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for an appointment at a regional passport agency. Alternatively, you may apply through a private passport courier like Rush My Passport. You click the link below to explore this option:

Get Passport Fast

Wrong city name
by: Anonymous

Question: I put my city name as my home address in my passport renewal application. But the birth certificate has the hospital's city name. The state is the same. Will there be a problem? My previous passport has only a state name as a place of birth.

Answer: It should not be an issue.

What is my maiden name?
by: Anonymous

Question: Let's say my Birth name was Jane Doe. Then My mom remarried and took full custody of me, so my name got changed to Jane Smith (my current step-dads last name). What will become my birth last name? or Maiden name?

Answer: Your maiden name is what's printed on your birth certificate.

Name change US citizenship
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi! I petitioned for a name change during my US citizenship and got approved. I am originally from the Philippines and would like to change all of my records and document with my new name, especially my Birth Certificate. Should I go to the country where I was born and get my name changed on my Birth Certificate? Or I request a US Vital record (if I’m not mistaken)?

Answer: Please contact your country of birth's vital records office regarding a name change.

Name change different on birth cert due to adoption
by: John smith

Question: My last name on my birth certificate is different than my current legal last name. I was put up for adoption and the state never updated the birth certificate.

But my current legal name is the name I've used my whole life and all my documents are in my current name including military records. Also, my mother's name is on the birth cert, and she has my same last name. Will I have trouble getting a passport?

Answer: You may have to present additional documentation to prove the connection between the name on your birth certificate and your current name. Your adoption decree should help so provide a certified copy with your application.

Passport concerns
by: Anonymous

Question: I have only used one name for my 32 years of living. I have my first, middle, and last name which is my mother's and it's on my hospital birth certificate.

I want to get a passport and I received my sealed birth certificate last year only to find out that I have two last names. It's my mother's last name-my father's. My parents were shocked as well. Everything from birth to college degrees has been my first middle and last name. This sealed document is the only thing I have with two last names on it.

When I talked to the birth certificate people I was told that I have to legally change my name. What do you recommend? Will this affect my getting a passport?

Answer: Since all your other documents are in the name you have used all your life, there may be no need for a legal name change. The passport will be printed in the name you enter in the application form since it is supported by your IDs. We recommend that you submit a copy of your driver's license as your primary ID.

New Passport Requirements

Get Passport Fast

Middle Name Spelled Different
by: Anonymous

Question: My middle name on my birth certificate is spelled differently than on all the documents I have used my entire life. It’s spelled Charise but I’ve always used Charice. Will this be an issue when applying for my first US passport? If so, what should I do?

Answer: The spelling difference should not be an issue since it's just minor and the names are common derivatives. The passport will be issued in the spelling you enter in the application form since it will be supported by the ID (preferably your driver's license) you present with it.

Parents last name differs
by: Anonymous

Question: I am applying for a passport. My father's last name at birth (Watson) is different than what is shown on my birth certificate (Davis). He began using his stepfather's last name as a child. There is no official documentation of the change. Which of his last names do I put on my application?

Answer: Please enter your father's name as it appears on your birth certificate.

Change of Name Colombian Citizen
by: Anonymous

Question: I legally changed my name in the consulate of Washington. I'm a Colombian Citizen and live in the US with an H1B work permit. My new passport will have my new name but will take about 1 year. Can I use my new name now and have my driver's license with the new name using the new birth certificate?

Answer: Please contact the DMV regarding your concern.

Name on birth certificate differs from driver's license
by: Anonymous

Question: If my SSN and birth certificate have my maiden name but my driver's license has my hyphenated maiden and married name, am I still able to apply for a passport?

Answer: Yes. The passport will be issued in the name you enter in the application form as long as it is supported by the ID (driver's license) you present with it.

Obtain a U.S. Passport

Legal Name Has been changed since 18
by: Anonymous

Question: When I turned 18, I legally changed my last name to my stepdad’s last name ‘Smith.’ And ever since then, I had my DL changed to reflect Smith as well.

However, my birth certificate has my given last name at birth, which was ‘Hernandez.’ If I am applying for a passport book (for the first time) what document(s) do I need to obtain a passport? I have all my legal documents too that show that I changed my name if this helps at all and all my bills, mailing address info, bank account info, etc. have my new last name that says Smith as well.

Thanks in advance!

Answer: Please prepare the following and submit in person for your first passport:

1. Form DS-11
2. Original or certified copy of your birth certificate plus a photocopy
3. Photocopy of driver's license, present the ID to the agent
4. One passport photo taken within the last 6 months
5. Payment for fees

The passport will be issued in your current legal name as long as it is supported by your identification document/s.

Two Last Names
by: Anonymous

Question: My birth certificate has my first name, mom's last name, dad's last name but on all of my IDs and SS I have my first name and mom's last name only. Will I still be approved for a passport?

Answer: As long as you provide sufficient identification documents supporting the name you enter in the application form, you will be issued a passport.

Child's name and Father's name on birth certificate different from current
by: Anonymous

Question: My father's name listed on my birth certificate is not my biological father. I have never used his name as my legal name and had my name legally changed to reflect what I have always used as my legal name. What documents do I need to provide in order to obtain a US Passport?

Answer: You need the following to apply for your first passport:

1. Form DS-11
2. Original or certified copy of your birth certificate plus a photocopy
3. Government-issued ID bearing the name you currently use
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

You may also be asked to submit the court order for your name change. Please submit the original or a certified copy.

Last name on citizenship certificate different from my DL, ss
by: Anonymous

Question: When I was a permeant resident, all my documents had my maiden name: my green card, driver's license, and ss card.

I got married just before I got my citizenship and when approved, the officer said I could use my husband's last name on the certificate. So my citizenship certificate has my husband's last name and I have not started the process of legally changing my last name on my ss card and driver's license. Would I need to do this first before applying for my passport?

Answer: You need to have at least one ID bearing your new last name in order to avoid questions and delays. We recommend changing your driver's license first since it's your primary ID.

by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for a passport in my new name. I created my own birth cert. The passport office requested a birth cert. as proof of U.S. citizenship. ID is in the new name (non-state and non-federal ID). The passport office requested state and or federal ID and also requested to re-enter SSN which is not mandatory.

Answer: You will need to submit your state-issued (amended) birth certificate after your name change. You will also need to submit a government-issued photo ID in your new name as proof of identity. Otherwise, you need to submit at least 5 documents that are at least 5 years old that have your new name in them.

As for the SSN, while it is not mandatory, it is recommended. If you do not have one, please include the following as a signed statement:

"I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I, (Your full name), have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration."

My mother's name on birth certificate is different from name she has used for over 60 years
by: Anonymous

Question: My mother's birth certificate, Medicare card, & Social Security all have her correct birth name as Anna Susan, but her checking account, driver's license, some utilities, and a life insurance policy have the name of Annie Sue which she has gone by for years. Is it possible to get her name changed on all documents to her legal birth name of Anna Susan?

Answer: Yes it is possible but I imagine it will be a lot of work. You need to contact the bank, DMV and all other offices one by one and submit the necessary paperwork to change your mother's name in their records.

More information required
by: Anonymous

Question: I have applied for my passport but was asked to provide more information. My birth certificate has a different last name than the last name I have used all my life. I was born in 1985 and my mother married in 1986 and I took my new dad's name and have always used it.

Nothing was ever legally changed, I now have to provide documents to show I have been using this name since 1986. I'm not sure what documents to provide. I have already provided my social security, birth certificate, and driver's license. I need help with what other paperwork would work to prove I don't use the name on my birth certificate and I exclusively use my current name.

Answer: You may send mortgage records, tax records, old school records, and other verifiable documents bearing your name.

One of my middle on BC is different from my current name
by: Anonymous

Question: My birth certificate carries two middle names but one of the middle names was replaced with a new name when I was 5 years old. I have been using that name in all my IDs/school info since then. For example, this is what I have on my Birth certificate Mary Anne Adams but my passport and other IDs/school info carry Mary Anne Jones. What do I need to do to prove I am the same person that bears the same name. Thank you.

Answer: A court-ordered name change is your best course of action. If this is not possible, your IDs and school records should be able to prove you are the same person as long as the other details match.

by: Anonymous

Question: I need to get a birth certificate for a passport. Do I use my maiden name or my current married name?

Answer: Please use your birth name to acquire a copy of your birth certificate.

Name change?
by: Reef

Question: I am applying for a passport. I had a situation about 15 years ago where I found out my name was never legally on my birth certificate. So I had no legal first name even though I have been using Sharif since birth.

I eventually had to prove this was my name and got it on my birth certificate. I was rejected for a passport about 3 years ago and they didn't tell me why. Just more information they needed. I lost the paper with the info of what they needed.

So now I am trying to apply again. Do you believe it's because of my birth certificate? Do I need more information to prove it is my name? My birth certificate has my name legally on it now but I assume because it was added on about 15 years ago it is the problem. What do you suggest?

Answer: If you had the name legally entered in your birth certificate, it must not have been the issue. It is possible that you were unable to provide sufficient identification documents hence the denial.

When you submit your application, make sure to submit your long-form U.S. birth certificate and a government-issued ID (preferably your valid driver's license) bearing the name that you entered in the application form.

Name change when I was an infant
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, When I was about a year old, my aunt had my name changed to my biological father's name which is Nails. On my birth certificate, it still has my mother's married name which is Aldridge.

My mother never got my birth certificate updated after the legal change. In my teen years, I still had the legal documentation of the name change which allowed me to get my driver's license & SS card changed to my current name Nails.

But now after years, the court document has been lost & I really need a passport. It’s been over 42 years since this document was issued & no one seems to know how I can go about pulling that court order because it’s been so long.

I live in Illinois & have already gone to my local courthouse where they issue new birth certificates, they couldn’t help. I really don’t know where to turn with this issue.

Answer: If your identification documents have Nails on it, the passport will likely be issued in that name. Just be prepared to present more IDs/documents bearing that name in case passport services require it.

My name change is legal but I don't want to change my birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I've legally changed my name, but I didn't want to change my birth certificate as my current name is not my birth name. Do I have to change my birth certificate or can I just show my birth certificate and the court order of name change?

Answer: If you already have an existing passport, you may just send proof of the legal name change. If you're submitting a new application, your citizenship document (birth certificate) and/or ID should support the name you enter in the application. If there is a discrepancy, they may require the name change document as well.

My last name is different from my birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I just discovered my last name is different from my birth certificate. I moved to another state and when I had to submit my birth certificate to get my new license the name was different on the birth certificate when I received it. What process do I need to go through to keep the name that I've been knowing all my life. I would like to keep the name that I have that's been on my documents I've been using, for instance my Social Security my license and also medical information. The Only Name I've ever known.

Answer: You may apply for a court ordered name change to make your current name legal.

Different name on birth certificate.
by: Someone

Question: My name at birth was G. Ann T. Many years ago (I am now 79 years old), I began going by a nickname, J. That name is on my DL, SSN, University Diploma, letters I've kept, rental agreements, et cetera. If I apply for Name ID for use (of way over 50 years), would that be sufficient?

Answer: Please contact the office you are applying an ID from regarding their requirements.

HS Name Change
by: Anonymous

Question: My mother remarried when I was in high school & somehow everything when I registered at my new HS moving forward is in my stepdad’s name. DL, SSN. I cant legally tie the two together. I’ve been married. Maiden name showed stepdads name.

Answer: The passport will be issued in the name you enter in the form as long as it is supported by the ID/s you present with the application. You may be asked to present more documents to prove your identity -- details of which like birth date and birth place must match that on your birth certificate.

Name is different on birth certificate
by: Barbara M

Question: I have been using the name Barbara M. through Elementary and High School. What can I do?

Answer: You need to present primary identification that bears the name that you are currently using. Passport services may also ask for more IDs in order to process your application for a passport.

Name swap
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, when I got a VISA in 2011 my name was arranged like A (first name) W (middle name) S (last name). When I got my green card, my middle name was switched with my first name -- W (First name) and A ( middle)
S (last name). I am now a U.S. citizen and have kept the name (W.A.S) on my naturalization certificate. I have petitioned for my wife and I want to know if this current name arrangement will affect her visa interview since I know they have a copy of my previous visa and bio data. please I want to apply for a passport and I don't know if this change of the name will the affect my spouse abroad when I petition for her to join me.

Answer: Your new passport will be issued in the name you enter in your application as long as it is supported by your Naturalization Certificate or primary ID.

Please contact the USCIS regarding your concerns about petitioning your spouse.

Discrepancy in my birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I've been using my name since elementary. When I started applying for a job, I found out that my name is different from my birth certificate. As an example instead of Amador G. Santos, the name in my birth certificate is Amador Vincent G. Santos. Is it better to continue using Amador G. Santos or should I request to delete the Vincent?

Answer: Both names should be okay as long as it is supported by your IDs or your birth certificate. In any case, the only difference is your second given name (Vincent).

by: Anonymous

Question: I've been divorced for years now but haven't changed my name so my SSN and ID match but my birth certificate has my maiden name. Will I be able to use the name I've been using which matches the ID and SS card for my passport?

Answer: Yes, you can use your current name for your application for a new passport.

Name change
by: Anonymous

Question: I changed my name when I applied for US citizen and got approved, now my name is Jenjen instead of Wargine. Should I be able to use my new name or my birth certificate name for my new passport? And what are the requirements for the new name change?

Answer: If the new name is listed in your Naturalization Certificate, there should be no problem. You should be able to use your new name when you apply for your new U.S. passport.

First name differs on birth certificate and id
by: Anonymous

Question: My mothers first name is Sherwin on her birth certificate, but she has used Sharon as her first name for years. How will she be able to apply for a passport?

Answer: Besides the application form and required documents for a new passport, you mother should submitt a letter of explanation and five secondary identification documents showing use of the name for more than 5 years.

maiden name on ssn. married on dl
by: Anonymous

Question: I got married almost 7 years ago. Never changed my ssn. My drivers licence says married name and birth certificate is maiden name. What do I need to do to get a passport?

Answer: You will not need to provide proof of the name change if your name has changed due to a marriage and you have already been issued an ID in your new name. You must include the details of the marriage in the applicable section on Form DS-11. You do not need to present your SS card. You only need to provide the number. For a complete list of requirements, click here.

I am going by a different name than the name on naturalized citizenship
by: Anonymous

Question: I am a naturalized US citizen and the name that appears on the citizenship certificate is different than the name I've been using since entering US in 1982. Only difference in the names are that I have my first and middle name switched. My SSCard and driver's license has the name I'm currently using. I have not petitioned to change my name through the court. I am applying for a passport and I want my current name to be on the passport. To my understanding I can use 3 documents in lieu of court order name change to use my current name to apply for a passport. Only documents I have that has my birth date and place of birth is my marriage certificate and my children's birth certificate. All the documents are over 5 years. Would these documents be sufficient and will these documents be returned to me? I only have one certified copies of each.

Answer: Only the Passport Agent who processes your passport application can determine if the documents are sufficient evidence of your name change.

We recommend you send more, if possible. The documentary evidence, which must show the acquired name and one other piece of identifying data, (such as date of birth, place of birth, age, or Social Security number), may include but are not limited to:

(1) Driver’s licenses or non-driver State-issued I.D.;
(2) Military records;
(3) Employment records;
(4) Tax records;
(5) School records;
(6) Census record;
(7) Hospital birth record; and
(8) Baptismal certificate.

If more documents are required, you will be notified by mail.

The documents will be returned to you.

Affidavits executed by two or more persons attesting that they have known you by both the birth and adopted name, and that you have used the adopted name for all purposes for at least five years, may be provided in place of one of the public documents.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.