Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

How to get a passport in an assumed name

by Jennie
(Charlemont, MA, U,S,)


I am interested in obtaining my first passport, but I have a possible problem. My first given name on the birth certificate is not the same as the one I have used since I was twelve. All of my IDs are in the name I have used since I was twelve, my social security number, marriage certificate, children's birth certificates, ID in general, divorce legal name change, etc.

I wonder how I can get a passport since I never use my birth certificate because it is not the same as the other IDs and I would never go by that name on the birth certificate, first only. Thank you,




If your divorce decree shows your current assumed name as your legal name, then it may be all you need to submit. Just to be safe, you may want to submit all the documents that are usually required when a person applies for a passport with an assumed name other than the one on the birth certificate.

An applicant requesting the issuance of a passport showing an assumed name, where the name has not been legally changed by Court Order, may have a passport written in the assumed name providing she has been known exclusively by this name for at least five years.

The applicant must
present acceptable identification (driver's license) in the assumed name together with public documents as described below showing the use of the assumed name for at least five years.

Acceptable pieces of identification may include:

* School Records
* Tax Records
* Military Records
* Medical Card/Records
* Driver's License
* Federal/State/Local Government Card
* Deeds to Property
* Insurance Records
* Foreign Passport

At least one of the following:

* Employment Records
* Bank Books
* Credit Cards
* Utility or Phone Bills

In addition, the applicant must be able to submit "Statement of Witness in Support of Change of Name" executed by two or more persons who can attest to the applicant's exclusive use of the assumed name for at least five years.

These statements may be executed by relatives, close friends, or business associates. Witnesses will need to accompany the applicant to a passport application acceptance facility in order that their statements may be prepared and sworn to before a Passport Agent.

You might want to present your divorce decree to the passport agent at a nearby application acceptance facility to see if it is sufficient evidence. For a list of facilities near you, click the link below.

Massachusetts Passport Offices

For a complete list of requirements, click the link below.

Getting a New Passport

Best regards,


Comments for How to get a passport in an assumed name

Click here to add your own comments

Need a passport immediately
by: Anonymous

Question: My certificate of naturalization, which arrived this week, has me as "Saurav Rao," as I changed it through the process of naturalization on my N-400 Application. However, my last name before has always had me as "Saurav Jammalamadugu" and that's how all my documents show. I have an emergency and need to leave for Germany in a week and a half. Will my certificate of naturalization and an identifying witness suffice? I know that if you go visit the SSA and do it yourself instead of mailing documents they update your records electronically in 24hrs. But I'm worried if I'll not be able to change my name on social security quick enough. :(( Please help me out here someone!

Answer: The passport will be issued in the name you enter on the application form as long as it is supported by either your citizenship evidence or proof of identity.

Birth Certificate Name Spelled Differently
by: Anonymous

Question: My birth certificate shows my name as Margrite; however, from the time I began school to the present I have been known as Margaret (including school docs, drivers license, SS, etc) When I first applied for a Passport 12 yrs ago, the document required was a birth certificate and the Passport had to reflect the birth name. Since we are traveling out of the country, will there be a problem if my Passport is in my birth name and my airline documents are under my other name? Should I/can I have my passport changed to Margaret so that it matches all my legal documents?

Answer: You should contact the airline concerning the difference in the spelling of your name in your passport and with the airline.

You can apply for the name to be changed in your passport. The most effective way to do this is to first apply for a name change by court order. Then, submit the correct application form, the court order, a passport photo and payment to the address on the form.

You can apply for the name change without the court order but it requires you send multiple documents to establish the exclusive use of the name for more than five years. Frequently, Passport Services requests additional documents which leads to delays in the process.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering extremely limited in-person services if you need to travel internationally in the next 72 hours. Those with qualified life-or-death emergencies are prioritized.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days).

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 AM to 5PM, call ET 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, 202-647-4000

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!