Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for How do I get regular passports for my children if their father is deployed?

Click here to add your own comments

Passport for my son
by: Anonymous

Question: My son's father's name is listed on his birth certificate. However, my son has not seen his father since he was one and he is 8 now. We have no contact with him whatsoever. I'm wanting to take my son to Cancun next year. How can I get his passport?

Answer: Since the father's name is on the birth certificate, you share legal custody of the child. You need his notarized consent to apply for your child's passport. If you do not know where he is, social media is a good place to start your search.

I want to get my stepson a passport.
by: Anonymous

Question: Looking to take the family outside the US next year on a trip. We think my stepson's dad is in jail. How could my wife and I get a passport for him?

Answer: If the father's name is listed in the child's birth certificate and there are no custody orders removing him as the child's legal custodian, his consent is required for the passport application. People in prison have access to notarial services. If you can locate where he is incarcerated, you may contact him for a notarized consent for the application.

Passport for 3 month old with father on deployment
by: Victoria

Question: My husband is military on deployment and I was going to get my daughter's passport. Is there a way to do this without him there? Will a power of attorney on his behalf work for this situation?

Answer: A notarized consent from the father is required to obtain a child's passport in your situation. He should be able to execute this through his unit's travel desk. He can then mail the notarized consent plus a photocopy of his ID to you so you can submit it with the rest of the application requirements.

Sole physical and legal custody
by: Anonymous

Question: I have sole physical and legal custody of my daughter. Do I need anything from her father in order to apply for her passport? She is currently 15 months old. I have court documents to prove the sole legal and physical custody. Thanks.

Answer: Since you have proof of sole legal and physical custody, you do not need anything from the father for the child's passport application.

How do I get my child a passport?
by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter is 5 years old . The name of her father is on the birth certificate but at 1 year old we got a DNA done he is not the father . I never heard from him ever since. How do I renew my daughter’s passport when his name is still on the birth certificate?

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. You need to apply for your child's passport the same way you did when you obtain the first one. It is best to have the birth certificate amended first since you have proof that the father listed in the document is not the biological father.

Non-Applying Parent, No Access to a Notary
by: Jennifer

Question: My husband is located in a remote area of the middle east for his job. He has leave next month and we want to meet in South America to spend time together. My son's passport is expired and my husband has no access to a notary. I have a general power of attorney that says I am granted ability to make travel arrangements for our son. Will this POA suffice if I were to sign the DS-3053 for my husband and have that signed by a notary, with my POA in hand?

Answer: Please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 regarding your concern.

Passport for 17-year-old
by: Malissa

Question: My daughter is 17 and her father has not been in her life since she was 11. I how no clue to where he is. My daughter is graduating high school next month and I wanted to take her on a vacation before she starts college. Is there a way to get around going to court to get a judgement since she’s 17?

Answer: Hello, Malissa. At 17, your daughter can already apply for a passport without her parents being present, provided that she already has her own government-issued ID. What she will then need is a signed statement from at least one parent (you) consenting to the application and issuance of a passport.

She will be issued an adult passport that will be valid for 10 years.

Father Signed Consent Form
by: Gale

Question: My daughter's father signed and notarized the consent form but will not provide me with a copy of his identification. What else can I do?

Answer: The photocopy of the non-applying parent's ID is a requirement. You need to reason with the father or go to the local family court to see if they can compel the father to provide the requirement.

My mom has custody but the father signed the birth certificate
by: Cyn

Question: Long story short, my mom has custody of my 12-year-old since I was a minor when I gave birth. My daughter has always lived with me. We are trying to go to Mexico in October. Does the father need to be there to file for a passport since he is on the birth certificate but has no custody? My mom will be able to be there and myself.

Answer: If your mother has evidence of sole legal custody and not just physical custody, she should be able to apply for your daughter's passport without the presence or consent of the father. If, however, she was only granted physical custody, the father must be present or provide notarized consent form DS-3053. Please call 1-877-487-2778 to discuss this issue with a customer service representative.

passport minor
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, so I'm taking my son on a cruise this June. I have full legal sole custody of him. I went and submitted his application for the passport. I brought my court order. But the lady said shes not sure if it will be approved since the court order I have is a copy of the original. I do not have the original. Is this true? If it is true, how would I get the original? Won't any copy I receive just be another copy.

Answer: You should be able to get a certified copy from the court that issued it.

by: Anonymous

Question: Hi! I want to get my daughter's passport. I am the only parent on the birth certificate but her dad is paying child support for her. Does he have too sign, too? My daughter doesn't have his last name.

Answer: the father does not need to accompany your daughter nor do you need consent from him. You can submit your duaghter's birth certificate as evidence of sole legal custody. Foir more information, visit how to get a passport for a minor.

Obtaining a passport for my child, fathers name on the birth certificate but I do not have contact with him
by: Mar85

Question: My child lives with me. He has his entire life. His father was present at his birth and signed his birth certificate but I have no contact with him since. My son is not legitimized. We have never been to court before but I did speak with someone before about my situation and I was told unless my son was legitimized and he had court orders, which he does not, that I had full custody. However, when I attempted to get a passport to travel for vacation, I was told that I have to have both our signatures. My son is 8 and he has never been apart of his life and I do not have contact with his father. What can I do?

Answer: If you know the location of the father and can contact him, then he must appear with you or provide notarized consent to get the passport for your son. The only way to avoid this is to file for full legal custody. Concerning the latter, we recommend you consult an attorney.

If you do not know the location of the father, you can submit Form DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances with your child's passport application. On the statement, you must explain in detail the father's unavailability and recent efforts you made to contact him.

by: Anonymous

Question: My kids' father and I have joint custody. He has primary. My question is "How do I know if he got their passport without me knowing and is it legal?"

Answer: In order for one parent to obtain a passport for a minor age 15 or younger, the applying parent must submit either evidence of sole legal custody or notarized consent from the non-applying parent.

You can request a passport record for your children. The record will provide information about what form and supporting documents were submitted, if any.

by: Anonymous

Question: I'm trying to get a passport for my son. His father and I are not together and he is giving me a hard time in doing so. I have physical custody of him. His name is NOT on the birth certificate as he was not present. But he has court order to pay child support which he doesn't. How can I go about getting my sons passport?

Answer: Submit the birth certificate as evidence of sole legal custody. For a complete list of requirements, visit How to Get a Passport for a Minor.

How do I get a passport for my daughter?

Question: I am trying to get a passport for my 7 year old daughter.

Her father walked out when she was 3 months old and we were never married. He is on the birth certificate. However there was never a court order or any kind of legal documentation establishing rights. How do I get a passport for her when I do not know where to find him and I have sole custody of her?

Answer: Sole physical custody is not the same as sole legal custody. If the father is listed on the birth certificate and you do not have an official document which grants you sole legal custody, then his consent is required in order to get a passport for your daughter.

When one parent is absent and cannot be located, the applying parent must submit Form DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances. The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent's unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent.

Another option is to seek to obtain sole legal custody. For guidance, visit Nolo's Divorce & Custody resources

Click here to add your own comments

Return to How do I get regular passports for my children if their father is deployed?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 7 and 10 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 4 to 6 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!