Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Foreign Entry Requirements: Oman to Portugal

Oman | Pakistan | Palau | Panama | Papua New Guinea | Paraguay | Peru | Philippines | Poland | Portugal
For a list of entry requirements for other countries, click here.

Oman FlagOman A passport with at least 6 months validity and an Oman visa are required for entry into the country. Tourist visas can be obtained in advance via the Royal Oman Police E-Visa website. Omani immigration officials at the port of entry determine the length of stay in Oman, which varies according to the purpose of travel. Alternatively, U.S. citizens may obtain a visa by presenting their U.S. passports on arrival at all Oman land and air entry points. Tourist visas are now issued at Mazoonah and Sarfait (Oman-Yemen land borders) on a case by case basis.

Proof of onward travel and adequate funds are also required.

Note: The validity period of the applicant's passport should not be less than six months.

Adequate funds and proof of an onward/return ticket, though not required, are strongly recommended. To obtain a visa or for details on entry and travel requirements, please contact the Embassy of the Sultanate of Oman, 2535 Belmont Road NW, Washington, DC 20008, telephone (202) 387-1980/2. Evidence of yellow fever immunization is required if the traveler enters from an infected area. Visit the Embassy of Oman web site for the most current visa information.

Pakistan FlagPakistan All U.S. citizens traveling to Pakistan for any purpose are required to have valid U.S. passports and Pakistani-issued visas. Passports must be valid six months upon entry and have two blank pages for stamps. Further information on entry requirements can be obtained from the Embassy of Pakistan at:

3517 International Court Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20008; telephone: 202-243-6500; website: http://www.embassyofpakistanusa.org/.

Dual nationals with Pakistani citizenship will need National Identity Cards for Overseas Pakistanis (NICOP). When you travel to Pakistan, you are subject to the laws of Pakistan. If you travel to Pakistan on NICOP or POC cards, you are considered citizens of Pakistan, which may limit the amount of assistance and communication we can provide should you be arrested.

Travelers may also contact one of the Consulates General of Pakistan in:

Boston: 1032 Main St Unit 5, Millis, MA 02054; telephone: (617) 267-9000; website: www.embassyofpakistanusa.org/boston

Chicago: 333 North Michigan Ave., Suite 728, Chicago, IL, 60601; telephone: (312) 781-1833; website: www.cgpkchicago.org

Houston: 11850 Jones Road, Houston, TX, 77070; telephone: (281) 890-2223; website: www.pakistanconsulatehouston.org

Los Angeles: 10700 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 211, Los Angeles, CA 90025; telephone: (310) 441-0167; website: www.pakconsulatela.org

New York: 12 East 65th St., New York, NY 10021; telephone: (212) 879-5800; website:  www.pakistanconsulateny.org

If a traveler plans to stay longer than the time listed on the visa, he or she must extend the stay with the local passport office of the Ministry of Interior.  Visit the Embassy of Pakistan web site at Embassy of Pakistan in U.S. for the most current visa information.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

Palau FlagPalau Citizens and nationals of the United States of America, with the exception of United States military personnel, must have a passport valid for at least six months from date of entry. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens visiting Palau for one year or less, provided the visitor otherwise complies with applicable regulations, for example, on employment. U.S. military personnel must present official orders or documents certifying status; U.S. military dependents ten years or older must have a U.S. Government-issued photo-identification card showing the name, date of birth, and status of the bearer.

All visitors, except for diplomats and transit passengers need to pay the $100 Palau Paradise Environmental Fee (PPEF). This fee is included in all airline tickets to Palau. Those exempt from the free are eligible for a cash refund upon arrival by travel itinerary indicating that the $100 fee was paid.

For more information about entry requirements to Palau, travelers may consult with the Embassy of Palau, 1701 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Suite 200, Washington, D.C. 20006, (202) 349-8598. Visit the Embassy of Palau's web site for the most current information.

Panama Entry Requirements

Papua New Guinea FlagPapua New Guinea travelers must possess a passport valid for at least six months, onward/return airline ticket, and proof of sufficient funds for their intended visit. Obtain a valid physical visa or eVisa in advance of arrival. Travelers may obtain more information on entry and exit requirements from the Embassy of Papua New Guinea, 1779 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 805, Washington, DC 20036; tel. 202-745-3680. Travelers may also visit the Papua New Guinea Embassy website and the Papua New Guinea Customs Service website.

Travelers who plan to transit or visit Australia must enter with an Australian visa or, if eligible, an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). The ETA replaces a visa and allows a stay of up to three months. It may be obtained for a small service fee. Airlines and many travel agents in the United States are also able to apply for ETAs on behalf of travelers. Please note that American citizens who overstay their ETAs or visas, even for short periods, may be subject to exclusion, detention, and removal. More information about the ETA, other visas, and entry requirements may be obtained from the Embassy of Australia at 1601 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20036, telephone (202) 797-3000, or via the Australian Embassy home page. Visa inquires may be directed to the Australian Visa Information Service at 888-990-8888.

ParaguayParaguay A valid passport is required. U.S. citizens no longer need to obtain a visa for up to 90 days for tourism or business purposes. Some minor children need a special notarized authorization from Paraguayan authorities to enter and exit the country when not accompanied by both legal parents/guardians.

A departure tax must be paid by all airline passengers. Some airlines include the Paraguayan airport departure tax in the price of the airline ticket. It is recommended that you check with the airline in order to determine whether or not the departure tax has been included. If the tax is not included in the airline ticket then payment would be required upon departure in either U.S. or local currency (no credit cards or checks accepted). Visit the Consulate of Paraguay website for the most current visa information.

Peru FlagPeru A passport valid for 6 months is required to enter and depart Peru. Tourists must also provide evidence of return or onward travel. U.S. citizens may enter Peru for short-term tourist or business-related visits of up to 90 days; however, the actual period authorized is determined by the Peruvian immigration officer at the time of entry into Peru. This can range between 30 and 183 days. Extensions for tourists are usually not approved, and overstays result in fines. Visitors must have their entry officially documented by Migraciones regardless of where the point of entry is. You will not be able to exit Peru without the record of your entry. Minors under the age of 18 staying more than 183 days, regardless of nationality, need a Permiso Notarial de Viaje if traveling alone or with only one legal parent/guardian. For further information regarding entry requirements, travelers should contact the Peruvian Embassy at 1700 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036; telephone (202) 833-9860; Peruvian Embassy.

Philippines Entry Requirements

Poland FlagPoland

Poland is a party to the Schengen agreement. As such, U.S. citizens may enter Poland for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. The passport should be valid for at least three months (six months recommended) beyond the period of stay. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.

Polish immigration officials may ask travelers for proof of sufficient financial resources to cover their proposed stay in Poland, generally viewed as 100 zloty per day. Additionally, citizens of non-EU countries, including the United States, should carry proof of adequate medical insurance in case of an accident or hospitalization while in Poland. Polish immigration officials may ask for documentation of such insurance or proof of sufficient financial resources (at least 400 zloty per day) to cover such costs. Those who lack insurance or access to adequate financial resources may be denied admission to Poland. Medicare does not cover health costs incurred while abroad.

Poland requires Polish citizens (including American citizens who are or can be claimed as Polish citizens) to enter and depart Poland using a Polish passport. Americans who are also Polish citizens or who are unsure if they hold Polish citizenship should contact the nearest Polish consular office for further information.

For further information on entry requirements, please contact the consular section of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland at 2224 Wyoming Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20008, tel. (202) 234-3800, or the Polish consulates in Chicago, Los Angeles or New York. Visit the Embassy of Poland web site for the most current visa information.

Portugal FlagPortugal Portugal is a party to the Schengen agreement. As such, U.S. citizens may enter Portugal for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. The passport should be valid for at least three months (six months recommended) beyond the period of stay. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our fact sheet.
Portuguese law requires some non-European Union foreign nationals to register with immigration officials within three working days of entering Portugal. The law affects those who transit another Schengen area country by air en route to Portugal and stay at noncommercial accommodations. If an American citizen would like to ensure that his or her entry is properly documented, it may be necessary to request a stamp at an official point of entry, or download a declaration of entry (declaracao de entrada) from the Portuguese Immigration Service's website, and submit it to a local SEF office or police station within 3 days of entry. Travelers without a stamp in their passport may be questioned about or asked to document the length of their stay in Schengen countries. If unable to do so, they could face possible fines.

Travelers may also contact the Embassy of Portugal at 2012 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036, tel. (202) 350-5400, or the Portuguese Consulates in Boston, MA; New Bedford, MA; Providence, RI; New York, NY; Newark, NJ; San Francisco, CA; or Los Angeles, CA. Visit the Embassy of Portugal’s website for the most current visa information.
The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Portugal.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

IMPORTANT: The foreign entry requirements listed here were obtained from foreign embassies or consulates. This information is subject to change. Verify the data with the consular officials of the countries you plan to visit well in advance. For further information, see our embassy list.

About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.