Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Extra passport pages in my renewed passport

by Rebecca
(Maywood, IL, USA)

Question: I would like to renew my passport now (even though it doesn't expire in the next five years) for a trip around the world. Is it possible to get a renewed passport with extra pages added at the time of renewal? I would like my passport renewed but WITH EXTRA PAGES due to the number of countries I'll be visiting and all the visas. Can I request these pages at the same time I'm renewing the passport?

Thank you!

Answer: Yes, you can order the 52-page passport book instead of the standard 28-page version. Just indicate your choice when you fill out Form DS-82. You can mail the completed application form along with your current passport, one passport photo and payment of fees to the address in the form.

For more information about how to renew your passport, click on the following link:

Passport Renewal by Mail

Effective January 1, 2016, The U.S. Department of State no longer issues additional visa pages. This service has been discontinued to enhance the security of U.S. Passports and to adhere to international passport standards.

Comments for Extra passport pages in my renewed passport

Click here to add your own comments

Passport card
by: Anonymous

Question: I currently hold a valid passport book and valid passport card. They do not expire for many more years. However, I need to renew my passport book because I am running out of visa pages. Can I just renew my passport book WITHOUT renewing my passport card? Can I travel by sea to the Caribbean with my passport card while I am waiting for my passport book to be renewed?

Answer: Yes, you can renew your passport book without renewing your card. For good measure, you may request for the 52-page passport book, especially if you are planning on traveling a lot in the next few years.

Also, you may travel to the Caribbean via sea using your passport card.

How to renew passport if birth certificate was lost
by: Kim Dinh

Question: Hello,

Help please. How can I renew a passport for my child if her birth certificate was lost?

Answer: You need to request for a new copy of your child's birth certificate from the local vital records office. While you may use the expired passport as evidence of U.S. citizenship, you still need the birth certificate to establish parental relationship.

52 page passport cost for 2016
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport will expire in Aug. 2016 and I have to renew it soon. I would like to know what the cost is for a new 52 page passport as of 1/1/16. Thank you.

Answer: The application fee to renew a passport book is $110 for an applicant age 16 or older.

Do I get extra " Time " if I renew my Passport earlier than expiration date?
by: Grandma Lucy

Question: My Passport will be due on 1/2017, yet I only have 2-Visa pages left. If I am applying a renewed " Extra Pages " Passport now, do I get that 1-year extra length of time ( from 10/ 2015 to 1/2017 ) for my new Passport ?
Thank you.

Answer: If you apply to add pages to your passport, the fee will be $82 and it will still expire in 01/2017.

If you apply for a renewal, the fee will be $110 (presuming you were age 16 or older when you current passport was issued) but your new passport will be valid for 10 years from the date of issue.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility.

Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC.

A registered expedited passport courier can often assist in obtaining a passport as quickly as the same day. You can learn more about this service here.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!