This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How do I renew an expired passport if I lost my naturaliazation papers?

by Jackie
(Miami, FL)

Question: I lost my expired passport (expired 2009), don't have my naturalization papers (born in Cuba), and need to have a passport in the next 3 months. I have a copy of my last passport (but that doesn't seem to help), social security card and am married to an American citizen.

What is my best option? Isn't there another way of proving my citizenship? I heard that it could take up to a year to receive another copy of my naturalization papers. Since I went through the process already, isn't there a way to tap into my last application? Help! There must be an easier way.

Answer: Since your passport has been lost, you must appear at a Miami application acceptance facility in order to apply for a new passport.

One of the required supporting documents is evidence of United States citizenship. Since you lost your naturalization papers, you have two options. One, apply for a copy of your naturalization certificate.

To apply to replace your Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship issued by USCIS or by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, file a Form N-565 Application for Replacement Naturalization Citizenship Document. Currently, the fee is $345.

An alternative is to submit a written request for a file search at the time you apply for a new passport. Passport Services will locate records of documents previously submitted as evidence of citizenship. There is an additional fee of $150 for a record search.

Comments for How do I renew an expired passport if I lost my naturaliazation papers?

Click here to add your own comments

Father only has expired identification documents
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, I am traveling on June 10, 2016 to Mexico with my daughter if it's possible. I am trying to get her passport but her father never renewed his residence and now has an expired license and an expired green card. I would like to know if I could still present an expired identification card? And will she be able to her passport? She is a U.S citizen and so am I (her mother). Please help. This trip is really important to her. Thank you

Answer: When you submit your daughter's application, the parents (or child, if he or she has an ID in his or her own name) must present valid primary photo identification documents. Expired documents are not accepted. We recommend the father renew his documents before you submit the passport application.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Supporting Documents for Passports FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.