How fast do you need your passport?
Getting a U.S. passport can be done as quickly as the same day or it can take up to 6 weeks or or more to obtain one. It is important to determine how fast you need to get your passport
so that you can best choose how to apply and guarantee that your travel document arrives before your date of departure.
Processing times for both standard and expedited passport services are estimates. The actual time it takes to process an application
may be more or less depending on many different factors. Click the appropriate link below for how fast you want to get a passport for more information.
Standard Passport Processing (4-6 Weeks)
Routine processing of passport applications is estimated to take from 4 to 6 weeks. Occasionally, the forms are processed faster. Of course, it can sometimes take longer than 6 weeks
, especially during peak travel periods.
Click the link below for the type of service you need. You will find information about the appropriate application form to complete, required supporting documents, passport photo regulations, current fees and more.
- Applicants age 16 or older who need to obtain a first-time passport or those whose passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
- Instructions for renewing a passport by mail. Note, you have to submit your previously-issued passport. If you can't, you will have to apply for a new one.
- Steps to get a passport for a minor age 15 or younger. Includes information about how one parent and a third party can appear with a child.
- Getting a replacement for a passport that was lost, stolen or significantly damaged.
- What you need to know about adding visas pages to a passport that is not close to the expiration date but has few pages left.
- List of requirements for changing the name in a passport due to marriage, divorce, adoption or court order.
Expedited Passport Service (2-3 Weeks)
Expedited processing is an optional service available to those who cannot wait 4 to 6 weeks to get a passport. The estimated time to expedite an application is 2 to 3 weeks.
The first step to requesting faster service is to complete the appropriate application and gather the required supporting documents. Include evidence of your travel plans
and add $60 to your payment for the expedited service fee.
Be aware that the address to which the application and supporting documents are sent to be expedited is different from the address for standard processing. The address is located on the form.
Additional steps to ensure your passport is expedited quickly:
- write the word "expedite" on the envelope;
- use an express delivery method; and
- add the overnight delivery fee to the payment.
Whether you apply by mail or at an acceptance facility depends on the service you require. To begin the process, choose from the list of passport services
Urgent Passport Expediting (2 Weeks or Less)
The application form will have to be submitted at a regional agency
to get your passport this quickly. You can schedule an appointment and submit the application yourself. An alternative for those who are unable to visit a regional agency is to authorize a registered expediting service to submit the application
Processing centers are located in major U.S. cities such as Boston, Chicago, DC, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City and several others
. The faster you need to get your passport, the farther you live from a regional agency and the less time you have to personally commit to the application process, the more important it is to get an experienced expediter to apply on your behalf.
One such expediter is Fastport Passport
. Fastport has more than ten years experience helping American citizens expedite their passport applications in a hurry. They have served thousands of satisfied customers and have an A+ rating with the BBB. Click the link below for the expedited passport service you need and complete the secure online form in just two minutes.