The Expedited Passport Service Guide

US Passport Service Representative

Need to expedite a passport application quickly? Whether you need to obtain a new passport, renew one that is about to expire or replace one that has already expired or been lost, it is possible for citizens of the United States to get a passport as fast as the same day if specific requirements are met.

Applicants who are not in a hurry can apply for routine processing in order to secure a passport. The State Department offers expedited service for those who need to travel within 30 days. Emergency passport service is available to Americans who require their travel document in less than 14 days or 30 days if a visa is also needed. Choose how quickly you need a passport below for further instructions.

Routine Passport Service

Standard processing of passport application forms is estimated to take from 4 to 6 weeks. Occasionally, the forms are processed faster but it can sometimes take longer than 6 weeks, especially during peak travel periods or when additional documents are requested.

Basically, there are three steps to obtaining a passport by routine processing. One, complete the appropriate application form. Two, gather the required supporting documents. Three, submit the application and documents together with payment for fees.

Requests for a renewal, added visa pages, correction of errors and a name changes can be sent by mail. Applications for a new passport, or the replacements of a lost, stolen or significantly damaged one must be submitted at a passport office.

Choose the service you require from the menu to the left for a complete list of instructions, tips and a link to download the proper application form.

Expedited Passport Service

Expedited processing is an optional service available to those who cannot wait 4 to 6 weeks to get a passport. The estimated time to expedite an application by mail or through an application acceptance facility is 2 to 3 weeks.

The steps for requesting faster service are the same as those for routine processing: complete application, gather supporting documents, sumbit form. The differences are that you need to include evidence of your travel plans and add $60 to your payment for the expedited service fee.

Be aware that the address to which the application and supporting documents are sent to be expedited is different from the address for standard processing. The address is located on the form.

Additional steps to ensure your passport is expedited quickly:

  • Write the word "expedite" on the envelope.
  • Use an express delivery method that is traceable.
  • Add the overnight delivery fee to the payment.

Urgent Passport Expediting

The application must be submitted at a regional passport agency for processing within a few days to as fast as the same day. You can schedule an appointment through the Department of State's automated scheduling service and submit the application yourself.

Processing centers are located in major U.S. cities such as Boston, Chicago, DC, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City and several others.

An alternative for those who are unable to visit a regional agency is to authorize a third party such as a registered expediting service to submit the application for you.

The faster you need to get your passport, the farther you live from a regional agency and the less time you have to personally commit to the application process, the more important it is to get an experienced expediter to apply on your behalf. Of the nearly 50 courier services in our directory, we recommend Fastport Passport.

Fastport has more than ten years experience helping American citizens expedite their passport applications in a hurry. They have served thousands of satisfied customers and have an A+ rating with the BBB. Click the link below for the expedited passport service you need and complete the secure online form in just two minutes.

Click here for expedited passport courier service in 24 to 48 hours

Recent Articles

Get Your Passport for Christmas Day Travel
If you have taken advantage of some Christmas travel deal to an international destination, you will need a valid passport. If you don't have one, now is a good time to apply since...

Expedited Passport Renewal FAQ
The expedited passport renewal FAQ provides answers to the most frequently asked questions that American citizens ask concerning the expediting of passport renewals.

Can I renew my passport even if can't find it?
Question: Is there a way I can get the passport renewed even though I do not have it in my possession? Answer: In order to renew a passport by mail using...