Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Will a passport name change reset the validity of the new one?

by Rebecca
(Boston, MA)

Question: I was recently married and need to change my name on my passport. However, my current passport expires in March of next year. When I change my name, will it be renewed for another 10 years or will it still expire on the original date and then need to be renewed again?

Answer: Since your passport was issued more than one year ago, you must apply for a passport renewal using Form DS-82. You are also required to submit your current passport, a recent passport photo and evidence of your name change.

The passport renewal fee is $110. Current processing time is 4-6 weeks although it may take longer since we are nearing the end of the year's holiday season. The application can be expedited for an additional $60. In this case, it will be processed in 2-3 weeks.

If you require the passport name change sooner, you must either apply at the Boston Passport Agency or get a professional passport expediter to submit the application for you.

You will be given a new passport with a new number that is valid for 10 years from the date of issuance. Your current passport and marriage certificate will be returned to you. For more details, click the link below.

Apply for a Passport Name Change

Comments for Will a passport name change reset the validity of the new one?

Click here to add your own comments

Not the case
by: Anonymous

Comment: My wife's original passport was set to expire in 2016 and she changed her name in 2012. The new name changed passport kept the original 2016 expiration, what a pain!

Response: Was your wife originally issued a 5-year passport? When an applicant applies for a name change within 12 months of the passport's date of issuance, there is no fee and the expiration date remains the same on the new passport.

If the application for name change is mailed more than 12 months after the passport's date of issuance, the application fee must be paid and the new passport will be issued with full validity of 10 years.

Thank you
by: Anonymous

Thank you so much William, I couldn't find this answer anywhere on the internet.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service!.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.