Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

What happens to my unexpired visas in my old passport?

by Nick
(Los Angeles, CA)

Question: I changed my name through the courts and have to get a new passport. But I have a 10-year visa to India that doesn't expire for a while and was rather expensive. Do I have to send my old passport in and if I do, will I get it back?

Can I travel to India with both passports and show the visa from the old passport at the airport? Or do I have to transfer my visa?

Also, will I receive my certified copy of name change back?

Answer: While most countries require you to apply for a new visa when your passport is canceled, India does not. The remaining validity of the India visa can be transferred to the new passport.

So, if you have a 10-year visa that was issued 8 years ago, the visa issued in the new passport would be valid for two more years (or the exact remaining validity). However, the process is identical to applying for a new visa.

You must send in your current passport in order to apply for the name change. Your passport will be invalidated and returned to you. The document you send as evidence of the name change will also be returned to you.

You are encouraged to use a protective package such as a Tyvek envelope in order to send your documents. Also, a traceable delivery method is recommended.

Comments for What happens to my unexpired visas in my old passport?

Click here to add your own comments

New U.K. passport needed but visa is still valid
by: Dan B

Question: Hi. My UK passport needs to be renewed. I have a U.S. visa still valid in my old passport. The DOHS said they will accept my old passport and my new passport together at the boarder. I live in the US now so do I still need to send my old passport back to the UK?

Answer: Hello, Dan. Please contact Her Majesty's Passport Office regarding your UK passport.

New passport but visa not expired on old passport
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport was sent for renewal, but still have visa valid till 2021. Please advise what to do.

Answer: The old passport will be returned to you once the renewal is valid. It will arrive in a separate mailing from the new one. Once it does, you may contact the issuing office of the visa to have it transferred to the new one.

Unexpired China Visa
by: David

Question: My current passport will expire within six months of my arrival date in China. Within my current passport is a unexpired Chinese visa which doesn't expire for another seven years. What is most prudent course of action?

Answer: The Department of State recommends that you begin the renewal process at least 9 months before expiration. We recommend that you renew your passport before you leave for China.

You may then contact the Embassy of the People's Republic of China about getting your valid visa transferred to your new passport after renewal.

by: Anonymous

Question: Is Brazil one of those countries that let you use an old passport with an unexpired visa and a new passport?

Answer: Yes, you may travel to Brazil with a new passport as your valid travel document and the expired passport with the valid visa to allow you entry.

Transfer visa and new name?
by: Nick


Thanks for your response. Since my old name was in the original visa, they can transfer the visa into the new passport with the new name and it'll still be good?

- Nick



Glad to help.


Click here to add your own comments

Return to Visa FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service!.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.