This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. FTC Disclosure: We may be compensated if you make a purchase via a link on this site.

What do I need to take my 14-year-old grandson on a visit to Canada?

by Paula
(Springfield MI 49037)

Question: What documents do I need to take my 14-year-old grandson to Canada for a visit? I plan to visit Toronto next month and would like to take my 14-year-old grandson with me. We plan to be in Canada for 4 days. Does he need a passport? I live in Michigan and he lives in Indiana. Thank you.

Answer: Your grandson only needs a passport if you plan to travel to Canada and return to the U.S. by air. If you travel by land, then all he needs is a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy).

According to the State Department, U.S. citizen's who plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not their own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody, may be required to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents.

There is no specific form for this document, but it should include dates of travel, parents’ names and photocopies of their state-issued IDs. Click on the link for a model consent form.

Minor Travel Consent Form

Comments for What do I need to take my 14-year-old grandson on a visit to Canada?

Click here to add your own comments

US military dependent ID, birthday certificate but expired US passport for 12 years old
by: Anonymous

Question: I have a valid US passport, Us drivers license and US military dependent ID card. I'm planning to fly to Canada with my turning 12 years old around her birthday for up to 1 week. Can I use her US military dependent ID card and birthday certificate and expired US passport? Thank you in advance!

Answer: A valid U.S. passport is required for all international travel by air. Your daughter will need a new passport in order to fly to Canada.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport for Travel to Canada.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!