Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Passport for minor about to turn 16

by wondering

Question: I need a passport for my son for travel in early June. He will turn 16 a month before we leave. In order to get the passport in time, it looks like my options are to 1) apply about 3 weeks before he turns 16 - meaning it will only last 5 years or 2) apply right when he turns 16 but pay to have it expedited and it will last 10 years. If he turns 16 after applying but before it is issued, will it last 10 years?

Answer: In order for your son to apply for a passport that will be valid for 10 years, he must be 16 at the time the application is submitted. If you submit the application when he is 15, then the passport will only be valid for 5 years even if he turns 16 while the application is being processed.

If your son turns 16 one month prior to your departure date, then he could apply in person at a local passport application acceptance facility and request expedited service. This usually takes only 2-3 weeks although it can take longer.

To guarantee that the passport application is processed prior to your trip, you may need to visit a regional passport agency or employ the services of a professional expediter. Same day passport service is available through both.

Of course, you can avoid the expediting service fees if your son applies early for a minor's passport. The application fee for a minor is also less than the fee for an adult passport.

Comments for Passport for minor about to turn 16

Click here to add your own comments

16 and ID?
by: Anonymous

Question: My son just turned 16 this week and If I submit for an adult passport does he need a state ID from DMV or will school ID suffice?

Answer: The school ID will not suffice.

16 and ID?
by: Anonymous

Question: My son just turned 16 this week. If he submits for an adult passport, does he need a state ID from the DMV or will a school ID suffice?

Answer: A government-issued ID is required. The school ID will not suffice.

Travel with Less then One Month to Expire
by: LARK

Question: Hello! I would like to take my 15-year-old child on a trip out of the country in March but her passport expires in mid-April. Will she have any trouble returning to the US with so little time left on the passport? Please advise.

Answer: As a U.S. citizen, your child will not have issues re-entering the United States as long as her passport is valid. However, we cannot say the same for entering your destination. Some countries require at least 6 months validity remaining on a U.S. passport while other require 3 months.

Please check the entry requirements of the country you are traveling to to find out if you need to apply for your child's new passport before travel.

Turning 16 while in Mexico
by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter will turn 16 while we're in Mexico next year. Will we have issues with her passport getting home?

Answer: No. Your daughter will not have issues getting back to the United States as long as her passport is valid.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!