Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

If I am turned down for a passport due to back child support, do I get my money back?

by Leslie
(Houston, TX)

Question: If someone owes back child support and applied for a passport and was turned down, do they get the money back?

Answer: The U.S. Department of State does not refund passport application and execution fees for applicants whose application for a passport was denied. The only fee that may be refunded is the expedite passport fee and that is on a case-by-case basis.

Comments for If I am turned down for a passport due to back child support, do I get my money back?

Click here to add your own comments

Who can I contact?
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport renewal was denied. I am supposed to get my original passport returned to me. Does anyone know how long that takes? It has nearly been 120 days since the denial. I've already passed the 90-day period to reapply.

Who can I contact to ensure I get my original passport back? Passport services does not have phone hours.

Answer: Representatives at passport services are available Mondays through Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time, or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Denied Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for a passport back in April. Received a letter stating I was denied due to child support in arrears. Arrears was handled and the child support agency said they were going to call to get my name off of the list immediately. Was told when I called the National Passport number to send documentation in to prove arrears had been paid. This was the end of July. Had until Aug. 12th to get everything in without having to apply for a passport again. Status changed from denied to "In process". If now Oct. 2nd, and it still is in process. I initially paid an expedited fee so did this go out of the window because I initially got denied? Did the process start from scratch at the end of July? Calling the number for passport info doesn't help at all. Just need to know what my next steps should be if my passport isn't received by mid to the latter part of October because it would be 11-12 weeks at that point if the process did start over.

Answer: We do not have access to the information you require. Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 or at NPIC@state.gov.

Child support paid
by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for a passport and it was received on May 12th. I got a letter on June 11th stating that my passport was on hold due to arrears in child support. I paid it in full, and it was taken off the list on July 19th.

It is now a month later and my application still says "in process". I upgraded to "expedited" and have not received notification from the bank or the passport office that the transaction has been received. My flight is in 3 weeks. I called the number that is frequently put on here but can’t get answers to any questions, as well as can’t make an appointment with a regional agency until next Friday. Also, if I do have to drive to the regional agency, is it the same day? Do I have to reapply?

Answer: Your only course of action to get your passport is to get an in-person appointment at a regional agency. Once you secure one, you will not need to resubmit your documents. The passport will be issued to you in 72 hours or less.

Can I get my money back?
by: Ken

Question: I was turned down for back pay on child support. Can I get my money back?

Answer: Hello, Ken. Passport fees are non-refundable. If you can, please settle your debt in full so your application will be processed. Your name will be removed from the passport denial list as soon as the State Child Support Enforcement Agency notifies the Department of State that you have paid your arrears in full.

Passport denied
by: Marcos

Question: I was denied a U.S passport abroad! Fortunately, I was able to enter the U.S by my own means! If I have an arrest warrant for child support, can o still fly domestic within the U.S ? Or I would be at risk of arrest?

Answer: Since a passport is not required for domestic travel, you travel by air within the United States and its territories. As for the risk of arrest, you need to consult a lawyer or the State Child Support Enforcement Agency handling your case.

Child support
by: Anonymous

Question: I owe back child support but they are taking it out of my check weekly so I have made arrangements to pay it. Can I still get a passport for vacation reasons only?

Answer: If you have already paid your arrears in full, you may apply for your passport. Please contact the State Child Support Enforcement Agency handling your case for more information.

Denied renewal-fee not returned
by: Anonymous

Question: I was denied a renewal due to child support arrears. I paid the application fee, but no services were rendered. Doesn’t seem right that I don’t get my money back. Would like to know how the passport service can just keep someone’s money.

Answer: Passport fees are nonrefundable. Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Child passport denial question.
by: Yolanda G

Question: I applied for my daughter's passport back in 3/2021 and lost the parent additional info form. I just received the denial of the passport. Am I going to be refunded for the passport book? Do I have to pay again when I reapply?

Answer: Passport fees are non-refundable and since it has been almost a year, you need to pay the fees again when you apply.

Fleeing the law
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, I was denied my passport because of warrants. However, everything has been cleared and my record is clean. Do I need to reapply, will I be charged again?

Answer: The answer depends on how long ago you applied. Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 to find out if you need to pay the fees again.

Not issued status
by: Anonymous

Question: I was denied a passport due to child support arrears. I paid them off and the passport denial has been removed from my case and child support said they notified DOP.
I checked my passport application status and it says NOT ISSUED. Now that I have taken care of my child support arrears, do I need to reapply for a passport or will my prior application process???? I applied 1 year ago.

Answer: You may have to reapply since it has been a year since the initial submission. Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Child support
by: Anonymous

Question: I used to be on child support but was taken off due to disability plus my daughter was adopted by my ex-wife's husband. Will I still be able to get my passport?

Answer: Please contact the State Child Support Enforcement Agency that handled your case to find out if you are on the denial list.

Application Status “Not Issued”
by: Anonymous

Question: Just checked my passport application status and it says "Not Issued" the department of state says that they’re sending a letter for that decision. Will they return all my submitted documents including my old passport book and card?

Answer: Your documents may not be returned and the fees are non-refundable. Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 to confirm.

Wrong DS Form
by: Anonymous

Question: I filled in the wrong DS form, it should be DS-11 but instead, I used DS-82 and I already submitted my old passport book and card, then I realized I am not eligible for passport renewal by mail. What should I do?

Answer: It may be possible to just submit the right form in person with the requirements for a new application. As for the payment, you may be able to stop payment through your bank and just write a new check. We strongly recommend that you contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for a more definitive answer to your question.

Why is application fee not refunded?
by: Anonymous

Question: It is unfair for a person to apply for a passport and be denied for whatever reason and not be refunded. People deserve to get something back, taking into consideration they have to work hard to get their money! How fair is that?

Answer: Passport application fees are non-refundable but applicants are provided chances to furnish documents to complete the application. Applicants are encouraged to ensure their documents are complete and in order before submission to avoid delays and possible denial.

Passport submitted 6/2019, no response not found
by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for a passport in June 2019. I received two letters requesting additional information, which I submitted promptly. It is now 2021 and I have not received any communication or passport. Additionally, the status on the online portal changed from processing to "not found" and has been this way for months. I have called and the representatives I speak to tell me they cannot give me any detailed information about the status of my application. What is my next step and why is my application taking so long to process or produce additional communication from the department.

Answer: We're sorry to learn about your experience but we cannot provide you with any information. We do not have access to the government's system.

The best thing to do at this point is to call the National Passport Information Center and ask to speak to a supervisor. Provide as much information as you can so they can locate your application.

by: Anonymous

Question: If you're charged with a felony with the attempt of trafficking, you're not on parole or probation and all fees have been paid. Can you still get a passport?

Answer: Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 to discuss your eligibility.

by: Anonymous

Question: My passport was rejected but i never got back my birth certificate.

Answer: You may contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 regarding the issue.

Passport denial due to child support
by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for a passport, but did not know about the arrears law on child support. How long does it usually take for you to receive a denial letter from the date of me applying? will I have time to get it straight so I can reapply?

Answer: You will be notified by passport services as soon as it is received and your name is flagged. Once the arrears are paid in full, it will take 2 to 3 weeks for your name to be removed from the denial list. Passport services can hold your application until then.

Declined passport
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, can anyone please give me some advice on what to do? My friend was born in Australia, she lived in the UK for 10 years she has no ID. She been denied a passport because she has no birth certificate. She has a job to start and can't start because she does not have a passport. She can't get a birth certificate because it's in Australia. She tried online but was again asked for an ID. Please please help. Thank you.

Answer: One of the requirements to obtain a U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship. If your friend was born to U.S. citizens in Australia, she should have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This should be her evidence of U.S. citizenship.

She needs to contact the U.S. Embassy in Canberra or the U.S. Consulate in Melbourne, Perth or Sydney for assistance in securing this document.

by: Anonymous

Question: I was denied a passport, can I still travel? Will my name be on a do not travel list?

Answer: You will be able to travel domestically and to destinations that do not require that you present a passport.

Passports & child support
by: Anonymous

Question: If I now have full custody of my child & my case was closed to any future payments but I owe arrears, will my passport be denied?

Answer: Please contact the Child Support Enforcement Agency that handled your case for assistance.

Child support has been paid
by: Anonymous

Question: What if child support has been paid? Child support has been taken out of my account as it should and now that I want to renew, I get denied? Who do I talk to and what proof do I need?

Answer: Once the child support arrears have been paid in full, the state's child support enforcement agency notifies HHS who then removes your name from their list and reports such removal to Passport Services. The entire process takes approximately 3 weeks.

Please call customer service at 1-877-487-2778.

Thank you
by: Jacques Louis Jacques

Thank you for the reply. God bless

Renewal of passport after denial due to child support
by: Jacques Louis Jacques

Question: My passport was denied because of child support but I have now complied with the child support agency. What do I need to get my passport renewed? Will the fee I already paid be applied toward my new passport An answer will be greatly appreciated. God bless.

Answer: Once you pay your child support arrears with the appropriate state child support enforcement agency, the state agency reports to HHS that you've made acceptable payment arrangements.

HHS removes your name from their list and reports this to the U.S. Department of State's Passport Services. This may take 2-3 weeks. Passport Services verifies that HHS removed your name. They then process your application normally. If more than 90 days have passed, you may have to apply again and pay all fees. Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

by: Anonymous

Question: Is there anyway I can please get a refund? I am really struggling and need the money. I only receive disability.

Answer: Application fees are non-refundable.

back child support
by: Anonymous

Question: Is there any way to get a passport when you have back child support for special family travel?

Answer: Please contact the child support enforcement agency (CSEA) for the state in which you owe child support. Some states allow the release of the passport of an obligor that has been denied by DoS if the reason for travel is a family emergency (i.e. sickness, life or death circumstances) with supporting documentation that is accepted by the CSEA. For leisure travel, the obligor usually must pay the arrears in full.

Denied passport renewal overseas
by: Anonymous

Question: I was denied passport renewal overseas & need to come back to United States. Can I get emergency travel documents for direct entry to United States?

Answer: Please contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general for information about emergency travel documents.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports and Child Support Issues.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.