Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

How long will it take to get my name changed passport?

by Maggie
(Bremerton, WA)

Question: I realize that there are expediters for name changes on passports.

1)I have recently been legally married and have changed my name.

2)My current passport is over 1 year old

I am just wondering what the turn around time is for a new passport with my married name provided I send in all appropriate materials.

Thanks in advance.

Answer: The time it takes to process an application for a passport name change depends on the method you use to get it done. Following is a list of options with processing times.

» Routine service by mail - 4 to 6 weeks

» Expedited service by mail - 2 to 3 weeks

» Expedited service at Seattle Passport Agency - couple of days to same day

» Professional expediting service - 10 days to same day

Comments for How long will it take to get my name changed passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Never recieved passport back
by: Tianna

Question: I submitted my passport and name change application. Was told that I needed another photo. Sent a photo and never received my new passport and when I check the status it's not out there. What can I do?? Do I need to reapply from the beginning? I don't have the passport to select renewal.

Answer: Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 regarding your concern.

Travel after name change due to marriage
by: essay

Question: It is my understanding that you can't travel internationally within 6 months of getting a passport renewed. If my passport is still valid for a few years, but I want to change it to my married name, is this still the rule? If so, can I just keep my maiden name on it until after I travel internationally?

Answer: U.S. citizens may travel internationally as soon as they are issued a U.S. passport. There is no rule that says you need to wait for a certain period after issuance.

However, some countries require specific numbers of months of validity remaining on passports to allow entry.

You may continue to use your current passport to travel until it expires. But you may also apply for a passport renewal with name change if you want to travel in your new married name. Once you are issued your new passport, you may travel right away.

Be cautious with timing of next international trip
by: Karen B

Comment: Just make sure you don't plan an international trip before you get your new name passport. (They take your old one). I was quoted 10-15 business days if expedited.

Response: Good advice. Planning an international trip before you have a valid passport can result in frustration if there any delays in the process and you have to reschedule or, worse, cancel your trip. It is always best to apply for a passport early.

Processing times for both standard and expedited service are estimates. There are many things that can affect the total time it takes to process a passport application. Registered expediters can usually obtain passports within the stipulated time you request.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.