Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Does he need a complete new passport?

by Leslie
(Jacksonville, FL. USA)

Question: My son was 12 when he got his passport. It will expire in May next year. He is now 17; does he need to apply for a completely new one?

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. Your son must apply for a new passport using application form DS-11.

He should complete the form but wait to sign it in when requested to do so by an agent at a passport application acceptance facility.

He also needs to present proof of citizenship, proof of identity, a copy of his identity and one current passport photo. He may also be asked to provide written parental consent using form DS-3053. Finally, he should make payment for fees.

The State Department encourages passport holders to submit the application for a new passport approximately nine months before the expiration date. Regular processing takes 4-5 weeks but it can take longer. Expedited services take 2-3 weeks.

Also, many countries require at least six months validity in a passport before they will issue a visa.

Comments for Does he need a complete new passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Travel under 18
by: Anonymous

Question: My son is 17 years old. He goes to college in the U.S. and he has his own U.S. passport. We live abroad. Does he need any parents consent form to travel outside the U.S?

Answer: The travel consent is a recommendation but the necessity depends on the minor's destination country.

Validity of passport
by: Anonymous

Question: My 16-year-old just received her passport. It's only valid for 5 years. Why not 10?

Answer: Passports issued to citizens age 16 or older should be valid for 10 years. Please submit the passport for a correction. Please call customer service at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport for 16 or 17 Year Old FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility.

Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC.

A registered expedited passport courier can often assist in obtaining a passport as quickly as the same day. You can learn more about this service here.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!