Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Does a 14 year old need a passport to go to Canada?

by Sandra
(Waltham, MA )

Question: My daughter will be traveling to Canada with her friend and family. Will they need a passport to travel across the border? I was told that all they need is a birth certificate.

Answer: Children under sixteen need only present proof of U.S. citizenship in order to enter Canada. When returning to the United States from Canada, U.S. citizens under the age of 16 need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

If your daughter will be traveling to Canada with someone who does not have full legal custody, CBSA requires those with whom your daughter is traveling to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents or legal guardians. There is no specific form for this document, but it should include dates of travel, parents’ names and photo copies of their state-issued IDs.

Comments for Does a 14 year old need a passport to go to Canada?

Click here to add your own comments

Travel to Canada with children under 16
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. I am planning on going to Canada in the summer with my 15-year-old and 10-year-old. Do they still only need a birth certificate to enter by driving or do they need passports?

Answer: Minors still only need proof of U.S. citizenship (birth certificates will do) to enter Canada and reenter the United States through land borders.

My daughter is 12
by: Tina

Question: I have read all the info above. I understand that she will not need a passport but my question is -- her birth certificate does not have a father’s name on it. He had recently passed away and we were never in contact with each other. If I am bringing her in alone will that be a problem? We would love to see the light display, it looks beautiful.

Answer: It should not be a problem since you are listed as the sole parent.

by: Anonymous

Question: I am taking my 14-year-old daughter to Canada. I am Canadian, what do I need to send for my daughter's passport?

Answer: Since you are in the United Kingdom, you need to contact the Consular and Passport Services office of the Canadian High Commission in Trafalgar Square, London.

by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter is 14 and she wants to go to Alaska with her god uncle (who is a different color then her) to visit god family, what do I have to send with her so she can get into Canada?

Answer: You need to provide the accompanying adult with a notarized statement consenting to the child's travel with the said person. The statement must mention the name of the child and the accompanying adult and be accompanied by a photocopy of your ID.

by: Missy

Question: Hello, I was wondering. My children are coming with me to Canada. I have their birth certificates. Do I need a certified letter from the other parent to take them to and from Canada? The other parent is not going.

Answer: The consent is required only when minors are traveling with an adult who is not their parent or legal guardians. Since you are their parent, you should not face any issues going to Canada with your children. Please contact the Canada Border Service Agency for more information.

16-year-old going to Canada and coming back
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, my son is a U.S. Citizen and completed 16 years. he is attending a conference in Vancouver BC, Canada for 3 days. While coming back to USA, can he travel alone? What documents he need to carry while entering?

Answer: Your son needs to have a U.S. passport book, passport card or any WHTI-compliant document to re-enter the United states by land or sea.

If traveling by air, he needs to have a passport book.

My 14-year-old daughter traveling to Canada
by: Anonymous

Question: My 14-year-old daughter will be traveling to Canada with me (her mother) and my husband (we have a marriage certificate and our passports). If we bring her birth certificate, is that enough for her to go and return to the U.S? I am not in contact with her biological father and can't get a certified letter from him. We are only going for 2 days to see Niagara Falls. Is this possible?

Answer: Yes, it is possible. Minors age 15 or younger may use their birth certificates to enter Canada and get back in the U.S. Consent should also not be an issue since the child will be traveling with a parent.

by: Anonymous

Question: My 14-year-old son and I are driving to Victoria BC, Canada. Does he need a passport to re-enter the United States?

Answer: No, he does not. Minors under 16 may travel to Canada and get back in the United States with just proof of U.S. citizenship. Your son's U.S. birth certificate should suffice.

Question about needing a passport
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, I'm traveling by car to Canada from the US and back the same way in August 2017. I have a 3-year-old who does not have a passport, will her birth certificate do at the border for her? Her father and I will be going.

Answer: Minors age 16 and under may present a U.S. birth certificate to enter Canada and re-enter the United States. You may travel with your daughter to and back from Canada without a problem.

13 year old
by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter is 13 and she will be traveling to Canada with her grandparents, does she need a passport or is her birth certificate OK?

Answer: U.S. citizen minors under 16 need only present evidence of citizenship to travel to Canada. The child's birth certificate should suffice. Also, you need to provide the grandparents with a notarized statement of consent for the child to travel.

by: Anonymous

Question: Does a 15-year-old need a passport to fly by air from the U.S. to Canada or is a birth certificate good enough?

Answer: When traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, all U.S. and Canadian citizens are required to present a valid passport or a Nexus Card.

Minor Traveling to Canada
by: Anonymous

Question: We are grandparents traveling with a 14-year-old to Canada from the USA. Only 1 parent is available for the consent letter and government issued photo ID. The other parent has been out of the picture for 9 years. Is consent of one parent sufficient?

Answer: While it is not a requirement, it is highly recommended to have consent letters from both parents. Please contact Canada Border Services for more information.

by: Anonymous

Question: Can my 14-year-old travel to Canada by car with her ID and birth certificate, and will she have any problems coming back to the United States?

Answer: She can enter Canada and return to the United States with her ID and birth certificate. If she is not accompanied by parents, she should carry a letter of consent to travel.

Do I need passports for my infant and 5 year?
by: Bethany

Question: Do I need a passport for my infant and 5-year-old child? We are going to Canada and crossing border by car. And is it the same for entering back into the US?

Answer: You only need present your children's birth certificates to enter Canada and reenter the United States.

Does my 16 year old son need a passport to go to Canada or can he just use his Calif I.D. card and his certified birth certificate for an August 2011 trip?
by: Anonymous

Question: Does my 16 year old son need a passport to go to Canada or can he just use his Calif I.D. card and his certified birth certificate for an August 2011 trip?

Answer: While your son can enter Canada by land with a valid ID and his birth certificate, he must have a valid passport in order to re-enter the United States. A passport is required to enter Canada and return to the U.S. by air. Click the link for New Passport Requirements.

by: Anonymous

I need current info on passports for children under the age of 16. Do they need a passport to travel into Canada then back into the United States? This is April 1, 2011


Passports are required for travel by air. Minors can enter Canada and return to the United States by land or sea by presenting a birth certificate and photo ID.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport for Travel to Canada.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!