This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

consent of parent for passport at 16 years of age

by Julie
(North Wales, PA)

Question: Does my daughter need her father's consent to renew her passport? Does she need to apply in person and does he have to be with her? She is 16 years old. Her parents have never been married. She lives with her mother(me).

We are traveling to Costa Rica on June 23rd. She has her old passport which expired last May. We completed DS-11 and have passport pictures. I would like to apply for the expedited service. I would like to set up an appointment ASAP.

Since she is 16, I don't think she needs the statement of consent. Her parents do not live in the same area. Please advise. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Answer: Yes, your daughter needs to apply in person. Besides the completed Form DS-11 and passport photo, your daughter needs to present evidence of citizenship (most recent passport) and photo id (driver's license). She also needs to submit a photocopy of the identification document.

Concerning consent, the U.S. Department of State states that minors age 16 and 17 must "establish parental consent." They go on to state that written consent may be requested if it is not implied on the application.

There are two ways to expedite the passport. One, you can make an appointment at the Regional Passport Agency that serves the state where she resides. Note, the agency only attends to American citizens whose departure date is within two weeks. For more information, click the link below.

Passport Agency List

Another way to get an expedited passport is to authorize a professional expediter to submit the application for your daughter. If you choose to use an expediting service, your daughter will still have to appear at a nearby passport application acceptance facility so that an authorized agent can take her oath and witness the signing of the application.

Get Passport Fast

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport for 16 or 17 Year Old FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.