Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Can I get a passport card so I don't have to pay extra for the book?

by Sara
(Grand Rapids, MI USA)

Question: My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon but it's based on whether or not we will need a passport. I'd rather pay the $55++ for the passport card versus the $100++ for the passport book.

I am not a frequent traveler out of the country but I do live in Michigan and close to the borders of Canada, in which case I might go to Canada if I had a passport card.

Can I get a passport card for my honeymoon so I don't have to pay the extra cost for a passport book?

Answer: The answer depends on your honeymoon destination and how you plan to get there.

You can get a passport card instead of a passport book if you plan to travel to Canada by land.

However, the passport card cannot be used for travel by air to any destination.

Actually, the cost of a passport card for an adult is currently $65. There is a $30 application fee and a $35 execution fee.

Note, you must apply for the passport card in your current legal name. Since you are not married yet, you cannot apply using your married name (assuming you plan to change it) to get your passport.

After the honeymoon, you should apply to change the name in your passport. There is no fee for this service IF you make the request within the first year of your passport's date of issue.

You are encouraged to apply early since it can take a while, especially during peak travel periods or special circumstances. For more information, click the link below.

How to Get a Passport Card

Return to Passport Card FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 10 and 13 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 7 to 9 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Expedite Your Passport Now!