This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can you obtain a passoport if you have an old felony conviction?

by Judy
(LaMarque TX, U.S.)

Question: My husband has a felony conviction from about 20 years ago that was resolved about 10 or 11 years ago. We are planning to go to Playa del Carmen, Mexico for my son's wedding. Will he be able to obtain a passport?

Answer: I assume that by "resolved" you mean that the felony was expunged from your husband's record.

There should be no problem with getting a passport although we cannot guarantee this. You will find complete instructions and a link to download the application form by clicking the link below.

Apply for New Passport

Some countries such as Canada do not allow foreigners who have a criminal record (even a misdemeanor) to enter without special permission. I found nothing that indicates that Mexico has such a requirement.

Comments for Can you obtain a passoport if you have an old felony conviction?

Click here to add your own comments

Drug charge
by: Anonymous

Question: Can I still get passport if I had a drug charge 5 years ago? I am no longer on probation.

Answer: Obtaining a passport with a felony conviction can be rather difficult but not impossible. The eligibility for a U.S. passport largely depends on the type of felony committed. There are certain offenses, like drug trafficking, that automatically disqualifies one from getting a passport. Please call 1-877-487-2778 for clarification on the subject.

drug charge 20 years ago
by: Anonymous

Question: My husband has been off parole for 5 years. We recently applied for a passport. I got mine. He has not received his, yet. Will he be denied a passport?

Answer: We do not have access to your husband's application form and documents and, therefore, cannot answer your question. Applications that are submitted together are processed separately and can take different times to complete. You can check the status of his application here.

Felony Charged not Sentenced Yet
by: Anonymous

Question: My boyfriend got a possession and contraband charge (small amount) (wrong place at the wrong time situation) back in November. Back at the very end of February or even the beginning of March, we applied for him and our daughter to get a passport to go to Mexico for my brother's wedding which is in October. My daughter got her passport in the mail today. His status on his still says it's processing. When applying they said to give it until the second week of April to come in. Do you think he will get his?

Answer: We do not have access to passport applications. The agent who processes the application will make the decision as to whether or not a passport can be issued. Routine service can take up to 8 weeks.

by: Anonymous

Question: I am getting off probation for drug possession with intent & identity theft here in the next 3 months. How long before I can get a passport for travel would you say. My family is going to Jamaica next year and I would love to go.

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

USA Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: 35 yrs ago my girlfriend had a felony. Can she get a passport for the USA only?

Answer: More than likely, she can get a passport.

Felony for worthless check
by: Anonymous

Question: I have a worthless check felony from 1988. I was never on probation or parole. I haven't had any problems since. I was given my voting rights back many years ago. I was wondering if I can get a passport.

Answer: Your passport application should not be denied because of the felony. Some countries have restrictions concerning visitors with a felony conviction. Contact the embassy or consulate general of the countries you want to visit for more information.

Felony conviction
by: Anonymous

Comment: I have multipy felony convictions from ten years ago. I've paid my debt to society. My crimes range from passing bad checks to theft.

Response: It is possible to obtain a passport if you have a felony convication on your record. There are some felonies for which a passport is denied but that does not seem to be your case. Note, the fact that you can get a passport does not imply you will be allowed entry to any foreign country. Each country has its own entry requirements and you may either be denied entry or be required to pass through additional steps to receive approval. Please contact the embassy or consulate general of the countries you want to visit for more information.

Old felony, has US passport, will we have trouble getting into Mexico?
by: Anonymous

Question: My fiancee has an old felony conviction for assault. No jail time served, no parole needed, probation has been complete for many years, the case has not been expunged from his record. He has applied and received his US passport and we are traveling to Cancun Mexico and getting married. Will he have any problems getting into Mexico or back into the US?

Answer: Please contact the Consular Section of the Embassy of Mexico for entry requirements in relation to special circumstances.

felony charge
by: Anonymous

Question I have a felony charge. It is tresspassing. I'm just wondering if I can get a passport or not with having a felony.

Answer A felony trespass charge should not affect your ability to obtain a passport.

drug conviction/child support
by: Anonymous

Questions: Can a felony drug conviction 15 years ago stop someone from obtaining a passport? My destanation would be Afghanistan and Singapore for work. Also, are there exceptions to obtaining a passport if you owe child support arrears?

Answers: In most cases, a person convicted of a felony can obtain a passport. Note, some countries do not allow convicted felons to enter or require special permission first. Contact the embassy of Afghanistan and Singapore for more information.

You will not be issued a passport if you owe $2500 or more in child support.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.