Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for What if only one parent is listed on the birth certificate?

Click here to add your own comments

Foreign parent
by: Anonymous

Question: My husband is not an American citizen and I am trying to get a passport for our son so I can go see my husband. The country is Spanish speaking and he has tried 5x to get the notary in his country to fill out the DS-3053 properly but it is never done correctly. What are my other options?

Answer: Your husband must go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate closest to him to have the form notarized. Also, please make sure he sends a photocopy of the ID he presents to the notary.

International travel
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. My divorce case is in process and my baby is 4 months old. In his birth certificate, I am the only parent listed and today I applied for the passport with the birth certificate. Do you think that I can get the passport of my baby? And I can travel internationally with no issues?

Answer: If you are the only parent listed in the birth certificate, you have sole legal custody of the child. You may apply for the child's passport and travel internationally without involving the other parent.

Father is not on birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm wanting to get a passport for my daughter. Her father and I were never married but we share custody. He is not on her birth certificate. Do I need to list him on her passport?

Answer: You may face legal issues if you apply for the child's passport without the father while you share legal custody. We recommend that you seek the advice of your lawyer before doing anything.

International travel with a minor
by: Abcde

Question: I am the only parent listed on my son's birth certificate, I had no problems getting his passport. We have an upcoming trip to Tokyo, will his original birth certificate and passport be sufficient for international travel or would I need a notarized document stating I’m the parent of my son with sole legal/physical custody?

Answer: The passport should suffice. You may bring the birth certificate as proof in case questions about custody arise.

Applying for a child's passport when you don't know the wearabouts of the father
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi my daughter is 7 years old and she never had any contact with her father nor is his name on her birth certificate. I will be going on vacation in July. Do you think my daughter passport request will be denied?

Question: You can submit your daughter's birth certificate as evidence of sole legal custody. The father's consent is not required. Click the link to access a list of requirements to get a minor's passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to What if only one parent is listed on the birth certificate?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 7 and 10 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 4 to 6 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!