COVID-19 UPDATE: Travel restrictions and other information for U.S. Passport holders.

What if I need to travel overseas while my passport is being renewed?

by Gary
(Atlanta, GA)

Question: My passport expires in September, and I need to travel in October. However, I may also need to travel to Switzerland in August. Is there some document that I can print out to show that I have a valid passport, but it is currently being renewed?

Answer: A passport book is the only acceptable document for air travel to another country. In fact, you need to renew your passport before you travel to Switzerland. Although you are not required to obtain a visa, your passport must be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay in order to enter Switzerland.

Expediting a passport renewal by mail takes 2-3 weeks. The only way to get your passport renewed in less time is to submit the application at a regional passport agency where it can be done in one day.

There is an agency in Atlanta. It is located in the following address:

Atlanta Passport Agency
230 Peachtree St NW, Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30303

If you are unable to visit the regional agency, you can submit the application through a professional expediting service. To begin the process of getting your passport renewed quickly, click the link below.

Expedited Passport Renewal

Comments for What if I need to travel overseas while my passport is being renewed?

Click here to add your own comments

Travel While Passport Renewed
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport did not expire until November, but I sent it to be renewed. I am being sent to Mexico next week. Can I still travel with my passport number until I receive my new passport?

Answer: When you apply for a passport renewal, your previously-issued passport is cancelled and can no longer be used for international travel. A valid passport is required for entry to Mexico.

You can check the status of your passport application here.

We recommend you visit the nearest regional passport agency a day or two before your departure date if your passport does not arrive before then.

by: Anonymous

Question: I need to travel to Mexico because my fiancee's sister is dying. I have applied for my passport but it has not come yet. What can I do? Thank you.

Answer: All U.S. citizens are required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico. Documents are not always checked at immigration checkpoints when entering Mexico but you cannot re-enter the United States without a valid passport.

Contact the National Passport Information Center to see if you can get expedited service. There is a $60 fee so you will need a credit card to pay for this. The phone number is 1-877-487-2778.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!