Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for What identification information is required from non-applying parent?

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, the father of my child cannot come to the appointment, he will sign the DS-3053. He is not a US Citizen, his passport is expired, he has a valid driver's license and his birth certificate, and the ID that is accepted in Mexico called INE, can we use that? Thanks.

Answer: He may present any of the IDs you mentioned to the notary and you may submit a photocopy of the same ID with the application.

I don’t want to fill out consent form
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, the current court order reads to facilitate passport issuance and father to hold on passports of our minor kids.

I will be using them too, but I can go to the application appointment. We live 2 miles from the passport center and I can go, he doesn’t want me to go but is sending me letters via mail with forms to fill. I stated to the court I would go to the passport appointment; there is nothing preventing me to go!

He insists he doesn’t want to see my face and to fill out the form consent! Our kids are little yet and we are divorced with shared custody.

Answer: Since you share custody, you are well within your rights to refuse to provide consent for the passport application. You also may or may not appear for the application.

I got notarized form but not the copy of father’s ID
by: Anonymous

Question: After many years I made a 235 miles trip from Oregon to Washington to finally meet up with my son's dad and made an appointment with a mobile notary to get the father’s consent for my son’s passport application. When I got back I made a appointment for the application. That day, when I filled out the necessary forms I found out that we forgot the copy of his ID. After trying to contact him in every way, there was no response ever since. My question is: can I still apply with just the notarized consent?

Answer: You cannot. The photocopy of the ID is necessary.

completing DS-3053
by: Anonymous

Question: When completing DS-3053, does the address need to match what is on the ID of the non-applying parent?

Answer: It's not required but it is ideal.

by: Semi

Question: My daughter is 16. I need to get her a passport. What I should do if my husband cannot come? Is there a way to do it myself?

Answer: If your daughter already has her own government-issued ID, she may apply with just your consent or presence.

Passports for Minors age 16 and 17

Expired ID
by: Anonymous

Question: What if the father's ID is expired? Can that still be used?

Answer: A valid ID is required. If an ID is not available, the father may present his birth certificate.

DS 3053 question
by: Anonymous

Question: The father of my children is willing to sign the form so that I can take them on vacation. The problem I’m having is that he doesn’t have a valid ID. He finally has an appointment tomorrow, but of course, he will only be issued a temporary ID. Will this be sufficient for the form? His Texas hard copy will take weeks to come in and we don’t have enough time for that. Any help is appreciated.

Answer: A valid government-issued ID must be presented to the notary public and submitted (copy) with the passport applications. You may contact passport services at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Child's passport
by: Anonymous

Question: If a mother wants to apply for a passport for her child but the dad will not be able to make it to sign the papers. What can they do to keep the process going? Is there a consent form that dad can sign? What will the process be?

Answer: If one parent cannot be present when the application for the child's passport is submitted, said parent must provide a notarized consent and a photocopy of his ID. The parent who will be with the child will submit these with the rest of the application requirements.

DS-3053 form
by: Anonymous

Question: I have completed the form and had it notarized. On the form it says: 3. The written consent from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a new U.S. passport must not be more than 90 days old. A clear photocopy of the front and back of the non-applying parent's government-issued photo identification presented to the notary is required with the written consent.

I used my passport with the notary, so does this mean I have to give a copy of my passport to my kids mom to send in? I am not comfortable with that and would rather send it directly to someone.

Answer: The consent needs to be submitted with the rest of the application. You need to give it with a copy of your passport's data page to the other parent.

by: Grace

Question: Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a template as far as what a notarized letter granting that I can get his passport. My son's father isn't present but he agreed to have a signed notarized letter so I can travel with him.

Answer: Hi, Grace. The father may use Form DS-3053.

My child's father's only ID is his passport from Jamaica since he's traveling
by: Anonymous

Question: My child's father travels back and forth from Jamaica. His name is on the birth certificate. He filled out the consent form and it was notarized. He presented his Jamaican passport as his form of ID and the notary accepted it and wrote the issue date and the expiration date. Is this OK?

Answer: A valid foreign passport is acceptable form of ID. Please submit a photocopy of the passport's data page with the notarized consent.

Passport for minor son
by: Anonymous

Question: My son's dad is in the military. We haven't heard from him for more than 4 years but he does pay child support and we have joint custody. Last time we saw him, he didn't leave on good terms. So, I know for a fact that he won't sign the form. What can I do?

Answer: If the father is listed on your son's birth certificate then his notarized consent is required. If he refuses to sign, we recommend you consult an attorney or visit the nearest family court for assitance.

Help please
by: Elizabeth

Question: Hello, everybody, I hope y'all can help. I have a son and I need to get his passport so he can go on vacation. Since his father has passed away, I don't know what to do to get a copy of his death certificate. What can I do since I have no communication with his widow? Any suggestions? Can I go get his passport?

Answer: You must submit a certified copy of the death certificate. Please contact the vital records office of the county where your son's father passed away.

What if the father cannot be located?
by: Anonymous

Question: How would one complete DS-3053 if the father cannot be located and no identification is available for him?

Answer: If the minor is age 16 or 17, only one parent is required to appear. For minors age 15 or younger, you either need to submit notarized consent from the father or evidence of sole legal custody.

There is a "Special Circumstances" section on Form DS-3053 but cases such as you described are usually not approved. Circumstances which are usually approved include incarceration and deportation.

If you require the father's consent, your alternative are to locate him and obtain the consent or seek the advice of a lawyer about seeking sole legal custody.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to What identification information is required from non-applying parent?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 7 and 10 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 4 to 6 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!