Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

What form do I need if I already have a military passport?

by Nadine
(Litchfield, OH)

Question: I am in the Air Force and have my military passport. It is not recommended to carry this. I want to get the blue civilian passport. I also have a blue passport but it is already expired. It has my maiden name on it. Which form do I fill out?

Answer: You need to apply for a regular passport. You can apply for a passport renewal by mail if your most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago. Check the expiration date.

You can renew a passport by mail if it has been expired for up to 5 years.

You can even renew your passport by mail if your name has changed. You just have to include evidence of the name change.

There are additional criteria which you must meet. You can read the complete instructions by clicking the link below.

How to Renew a Passport by Mail

If your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, you need to apply for a new passport using Form DS-11. You will find complete instructions by clicking the link below.

How to Get a New Passport

Return to Passport Application Form Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.