Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

obtaining a copy of an ancestor's passport

by Kelly
(Staten Island, NY)

Question: I am looking to obtain a copy of my great-grandfather's passport if that possible.

Answer: The way you obtain a passport record depends on when the passport was issued. For passports issued between 1925 to the present,

1. Your full name at birth and any subsequent name changes;
2. Your date and place of birth;
3. Your current mailing address;
4. Your current daytime telephone number;
5. Your current e-mail address, if available;
6. Your reason for the request;
7. The dates or estimated dates the passports were issued;
8. Your passport numbers or any other information that will help locate your records; and
9. A copy of requester's valid photo identification

Since your are requesting a passport record of someone other than yourself, you also have to include one of the following.

* Notarized consent from the owner of the passport records,
* Proof of guardianship,
* Death certificate, or
* Court order signed by a judge of competent jurisdiction requesting the Department of State to release passport records.

There is no search fee for records. However, if you need a certified copy, a fee of $50 applies. Checks or money orders should be made payable to “Department of State".

All requests for passport records issued from 1925 to present should be mailed to:

US Department of State
Law Enforcement Liaison Division
1150 Passport Services Pl, 4th Floor
Dulles, VA 20189-1150
(202) 485-6550

For passports issued before 1925, all you have to do is write to the The National Archives and Records Administration. The address is provided below.

National Archives and Records Administration
Archives 1
Reference Branch
8th & Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC
(866) 325-7208

Comments for obtaining a copy of an ancestor's passport

Click here to add your own comments

copy of passport before 1925
by: Carol Griffin

Question: Is there any website I could get a copy of a passport? My granddad bought the Isle of Pines down below Cuba and moved his sawmill and family there in 1917. I would love to buy several copies for each child (3) Long story! Trying to get the stories to go with the geneology.
Thank you.

Answer: You can request for a passport record
from the Department of State.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!