Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for My sons father is deployed and my son is going to visit him can I get him a passport without his father being there?

Click here to add your own comments

children's passport alert list
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello,

How do I know if my child has been entered into the alert list?

Answer: Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 regarding your concern.

Shared custody
by: TJ (ohio)

Question: What can I do about a shared custody parent who is being spitefully difficult and disallowing a child passport just because they can?

Answer: Hello, TJ. You may go to court and have them compel the other parent to provide consent for the application.

by: Anonymous

Question: So can it be either or the form or a hand written notarized letter? And does it have to be signed at the U.S. embassy or can it be signed by any legal notary?

Answer: The letter is best printed to be legible. If it cannot be notarized at the U.S. embassy, you employ a reputable local notary public.

by: Anonymous

Question: I have my daughter. I do not know her dad and only I signed the birth certificate, Now, I am married. I have a son. I want to get a passport for each of them. Is it going to be a problem for me to get a passport for my daughter? I have no idea where her father is and he's never been in her life. She's four and I need to go to Haiti. What should I do?

Answer: You can submit your daughter's birth certificate as evidence of sole legal custody. The father's consent is not required. For a complete list of requirements, click here.

My daughter's birth certificate has her father's last name
by: Rachel

Question: My daughter has her father's last name in her birth certificate but I am not married to her father but in a relationship and her father lives in Mexico. How can I get my daughter a passport without her fathers present?

Answer: If the father is listed on the birth certificate, you must submit a notarized consent form from him to get your daughter's passport. He can do this at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico

Click here to add your own comments

Return to My sons father is deployed and my son is going to visit him can I get him a passport without his father being there?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 7 and 10 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 4 to 6 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!