Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for How can my child get a passport if her mother cannot be located?

Click here to add your own comments

need a passport for my daughter
by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter has an opportunity to travel to Germany this summer. I need a passport for her. My husband and I are separated. He left the state. I have no idea where he went to. I heard a court date will take too long. My daughter's teacher wants them to have their passports by February or March. What can I do? Please help.

Answer: If your daughter is age 15 or younger, you can appear with her and submit Form DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances along with other required supporting documents.

The statement must explain in detail the father's unavailability and recent efforts made to contact him. Statements are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and no guarantee can be made as to your statement's acceptance.

Do visitation rights effect sole legal custody ?
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, my divorce judgement indicates that I have sole legal right however father has visitation rights away from child's residence. Do I still need the father's consent since he has visitation rights?

Answer: In order to obtain a passport without the consent of the father, you only need to submit a divorce decree that states you have sole legal custody.

court order
by: Anonymous

Question: How can I obtain a court order granting me permission to get my daughter's passport?

Answer: For questions about court orders, please visit your county court.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to How can my child get a passport if her mother cannot be located?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 7 and 10 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 4 to 6 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!