Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Expired child's passport

by June Sloane
(Boca Raton, Florida)

Question: My granddaughter has an expired passport. She is now 14 & I want to take her to Europe when she is 15. Can I apply for a passport for her or does she need to go in person with her mother?

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. Your granddaughter must apply for a new passport.

The first step is to complete Form DS-11. The application should not be signed until an agent asks your granddaughter to do so. This is done at a passport application acceptance facility.

Your granddaughter will also need to submit proof of U.S. citizenship (can be her expired passport) and onepassport photo.

When applying for a minor under age 16, both parent(s)/guardian(s) must submit evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant and must also present acceptable personal identification at the time of application. A photocopy of the identification document should be submitted as well.

If one parent cannot be present, the one who is must submit the second parents' notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053).

For complete instructions on getting a passport for a minor, click the link below.

How to Apply for a Child's Passport

Comments for Expired child's passport

Click here to add your own comments

Minor passport not ready on time of travel
by: Anonymous

Question: My 8-year-old child's passport has expired and we are going on a trip 8 weeks after his new passport application is submitted. What do I do to make sure he will have his by the time of travel?

Answer: Please request and pay for expedited service to get the passport in 5 to 7 weeks. We also recommend adding $18.32 for 1-2 days delivery of the new passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.